Learn to drive (my first licence)

There are various steps involved in getting a Western Australian (WA) driver's licence. You will need to develop your knowledge of the road rules, your driving skills and safe driving habits.

Learning to drive/ride (overview)


Read more about: Learning to drive/ride (overview)

Find out what steps you need to take to get a licence to drive a car (C Class vehicle) in Western Australia.

Get a learner's permit


Read more about: Get a learner's permit

To start learning to drive you have to get a learner's permit by passing the theory test. Your learner's permit is valid for three years.

Learn to drive/ride


Read more about: Learn to drive/ride

Learn to drive a car or ride a motorcycle - learn the skills you need to become a safe driver.

Pass practical assessment


Read more about: Pass practical assessment

Once you have completed a minimum 25 hours of supervised driving experience, you can take the practical driving assessment (PDA).

Gain experience


Read more about: Gain experience

Once you pass your practical driving assessment you need to complete a further minimum of 25 supervised driving hours over at least six months.

Complete Hazard Perception Test


Read more about: Complete Hazard Perception Test

You must pass the hazard perception test (HPT) before you can get your provisional licence.

Get a provisional licence (P Plates)


Read more about: Get a provisional licence (P Plates)

Once you have passed the hazard perception test (HPT) you will be granted a provisional licence and able to drive unsupervised.

Teach someone to drive


Read more about: Teach someone to drive

Personally teaching your child or someone to drive.

Tools and resources


Read more about: Tools and resources

Learner activities and resources, Hazard Perception Test simulator and road rules theory test quiz.

Learner driver fees and payments


Read more about: Learner driver fees and payments

Find out about learner driver fees in Western Australia and how to make a payment.

Replace my learner's permit


Read more about: Replace my learner's permit

If your Western Australian learner's permit has been lost, stolen, damaged you can apply for a replacement.


Page last updated: Tue Mar 11 2014 11:18:29 AM