License a new vehicle

Find out how to license a new vehicle in Western Australia, including imported vehicles and expired vehicle licences.

  New vehicle licence

If your vehicle is not currently licensed in WA or the vehicle licence has expired for a period of 3 months or more, you must make application for a new vehicle licence. Vehicles can only be licensed in WA if they are primarily kept in this State.

For information on importing a vehicle, please go to License an imported vehicle.


It is compulsory to have a Government approved immobiliser fitted to the vehicle when you apply for a vehicle licence in WA. To find out if your vehicle exempt from having an immobiliser fitted and information on how to have one fitted.

Please go to Immobilisers.

  Step 1: Get the vehicle examined: New vehicle

Before an application for the grant of a vehicle licence can be made, the vehicle must be examined for roadworthiness.

If the vehicle has been licensed in your name in another Australian jurisdiction for a continuous period of 12 months or more you may be eligible to license your vehicle without an examination. Please see Interstate vehicle licences for more information.

Please go to Get a vehicle examined for more information on new vehicle examinations.

  Step 2: Complete an application (Form VL17)

Once the vehicle has successfully passed examination, you must complete and submit an Application to License a Vehicle (Form VL17).

Vehicle licence duty

Vehicle licence duty is payable on the dutiable value of the vehicle, including the value of any trade-in, unless evidence can be provided to show you were the previous licence holder of the vehicle. Please see the reverse side of the Application to License a Vehicle (Form VL17) form for more information on dutiable value.

To find out how much duty is payable, please use our vehicle licence duty calculator.

Some people, organisations and vehicle types may be eligible for an exemption from payment of vehicle licence duty. Please refer to Concessions for more information.

LBU_F_VL_17_LicenceVehicle.pdf icon Kb

  Step 3: Provide proof of identity and vehicle ownership

Proof of identity

You will be required to provide one primary and one secondary identification document, one of which must show your WA residential address. Please see the below fact sheet 'Proof of identity for other Driver and Vehicle Services transactions (Not an initial driver's licence or photo card)' for acceptable primary and secondary identification documents.

If you have not had a vehicle licensed in your name in WA before and do not have a WA driver's licence you will also need to complete a Proof of Identity Nominated Owner/Vehicle Licence Holder (Form VL186).

If you are licensing the vehicle in the name of a company or incorporated body you will need to provide:

  • Your Australian Company Number (ACN); or
  • A 'Certificate of Registration of a Company' issued by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, or any other certificate of incorporation; or
  • Other evidence of legal entity status.

If your vehicle is jointly owned, only one owner can be nominated as the vehicle licence holder. This owner is to be nominated by completing the Proof of Identity Nominated Owner/Vehicle Licence Holder (Form VL186). Each joint owner must declare their details and sign this form.

Proof of vehicle ownership

If the vehicle you have purchased is not currently licensed, you will need to provide proof of vehicle ownership.

Please bring along the original copy of one of the following documents:

  • A receipt showing purchase price, date of sale, vehicle details, seller's name, seller's signature and whether the vehicle has an immobiliser fitted;
  • A contract of sale/purchase with receipt attached to show the purchase has been finalised. The purchase price, date of sale, vehicle details, seller's name, seller's signature and whether the vehicle has an immobiliser fitted must be shown on the contract and/or receipt;
  • Where the seller is deceased, a letter from the Executor or Administrator must be provided showing purchase price, date of sale, vehicle details, deceased's name, the executor's or administrator's signature, and whether the vehicle has an immobiliser fitted.
  • Your copy of the Vehicle Transfer Notification of Change of Ownership (Form MR9 or Form MR9B), or the Application to Licence a Vehicle or Transfer a Vehicle Licence Motor Vehicle Dealers (Form VL12).

If you cannot provide any of the above documents a completed Statutory Declaration of Vehicle Ownership (Form VL50) and Transfer of Ownership Questionnaire may be submitted for consideration by the Department of Transport.

LBU_FS_POI_PrimSec.pdf icon Kb
LBU_F_VL_186_ProofIdentity.pdf icon Kb
LBU_F_VL_SD_TransferQuestionnaire.pdf icon Kb
LBU_F_VL_50_VehicleDeclaration.pdf icon Kb

  Step 4: Submit the application in person (Form VL17)

Applications for a new vehicle licence must be submitted in person at a Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional agent.

You will need to provide:

  • Completed Application to License a Vehicle (Form VL17);
  • Completed Proof of Identity Nominated Owner/Vehicle Licence Holder (Form VL186) if applicable;
  • Primary and secondary identification (one of which must show your WA residential address);
  • ACN, 'certificate of registration of a company', or evidence of legal entity status if licensing vehicle in company name; and
  • Proof of vehicle ownership.

You may also be required to provide a weighbridge certificate if the tare/mass weight of the vehicle cannot be established from the manufacturer's specifications, previous licence documents or licensing records.

A set of number plates will be issued to you at the time of licensing.

LBU_F_VL_17_LicenceVehicle.pdf icon Kb
LBU_F_VL_186_ProofIdentity.pdf icon Kb

  Driver and Vehicle enquiries (online)

This form is designed for Driver and Vehicle (licensing) enquiries only.

Please note we will not respond to any feedback which contains sexist, racist or any other anti-social or inappropriate comments.


Page last updated: Fri Jun 24 2016 6:43:18 AM