What are multi-purpose taxis?
A multi-purpose taxi (MPT) provides a taxi service for people who travel in wheelchairs or scooters. The MPT fleet is currently coordinated by both Black and White and Swan Taxis who have a contract with the Department to manage the service. The MPT service welcomes people who:
- like working with people;
- have patience and understanding;
- have good communication skills; and
- believe in a high level of customer service.
Working in this part of the taxi industry is interesting and it offers a range of rewarding opportunities. It does, however, require drivers to be committed to providing good customer service for its passengers – people with disabilities.
|Multi purpose taxi (MPT) - driver guidelines||Kb|
|Multi-purpose taxi (MPT) - insert||Kb|
|Multi-purpose taxi (MPT) - qualitative research with drivers and owner-drivers||Kb|
|Multi Purpose Taxi (MPT) - vehicle & fitting specifications||Kb|
Incentives: Helping you help others
The Department offers a range of incentives to help get new multi-purpose taxis on the road including:
- A $15,000 vehicle modification grant to help meet the cost of modifying a vehicle so that it is wheelchair accessible.
- Half-price MPT plate lease fees for 6 months for new entrants (worth $1,300 per lease).
Plus, the following lifting-fee subsidies (payable by the Department) in addition to the metered fare for every wheelchair job undertaken through the Taxi User Subsidy Scheme:
- $12 when allocated through a taxi dispatch service; or,
- $10 when booked through private arrangements.
How to book a multi-purpose taxi
MPTs currently make up about 6.5% of the Perth taxi fleet and can be booked through the following taxi companies:
- 13 10 08 - Black and White Taxis
- 13 13 30 - Swan Taxis
Make sure you advise the operator of any special requirements such as wheelchair access, scooter use or child restraints assistance with luggage.
|Black and White Taxis|