Changes for passenger transport drivers

The on-demand transport reform is bringing important changes for drivers.

  New responsibilities (passenger transport drivers)

Booking service authorisation and association arrangements

If a driver only takes work from a dispatcher or app that they are affiliated or partnered with, and the dispatcher or app network is authorised as an ODBS, the driver will not need to have an association arrangement with them.

If a driver makes arrangements directly with a passenger (i.e. taking bookings) then they are providing an on-demand booking service. This includes rank or hail work. Drivers should either have an association arrangement with an authorised on-demand booking service, or apply for authorisation themselves. Drivers may or may not also take work from a dispatcher or app, in addition to taking their own bookings.

An association arrangement is a written agreement between two parties who both undertake the business of an on-demand transport booking service. The association arrangement must state which is the principal booking service and which is the associated booking service.

More information about association arrangements is available at the What is a booking service? page.

New vehicle authorisations - July 2019

From 2 July 2019, the current arrangements for owned and leased Perth taxi plates, country taxi-car licences, charter vehicle licences and Regular Passenger Transport (RPT) vehicle licences will cease.

All taxi plates, taxi-car, RPT and charter vehicle licences will be replaced by a single Passenger Transport Vehicle (PTV) authorisation with four categories of service:

  • On-demand rank or hail passenger transport service (OD-HR);
  • On-demand charter passenger transport service (OD-C);
  • Tourism passenger transport service (TPT); and
  • Regular passenger transport service (RPT).

Existing licences will be automatically transitioned in July, with PTV application fees waived. The expiry date of the transitioned PTV authorisation depends on the current licence type. See Changes for passenger transport vehicle owners for more information.

Drivers who do not currently own or lease a plate, but who wish to get a vehicle of their own to operate, will be able to apply for a PTV authorisation. This includes on-demand rank or hail vehicles (taxis).

PTV authorisations will be valid for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months and can be easily renewed using DoTDirect All authorised PTVs will require annual inspections and appropriate Motor Injury Insurance.

PTV authorisations will need to be linked to a vehicle. The person who is granted the PTV authorisation should therefore be the person who is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the vehicle - either the vehicle's registered owner or someone to whom the vehicle owner has given their consent. For this reason, the PTV authorisation cannot be granted in the name of a partnership or trust; it will need to be granted to one person.

The PTV authorisation fee will be up to approximately $115 for a 12 month authorisation, with a one-time application fee of approximately $15 per application.

Safety responsibilities

To ensure passenger and driver safety, PTV OD-RH authorisations will need to be fitted with a meter, an internal security camera, a roof sign and livery.

All drivers of PTVs will be required to display driver ID under previous legislation, taxi drivers were the only type of on-demand transport drivers required to display identification in the vehicle.

Drivers of on-demand charter (OD-C) vehicles will be required to make their driver ID document visible to the hirer at the time of booking, or display it in the vehicle or on person.

The driver ID document must contain a photograph of the driver and their first name

These requirements may already be met, for example by driver profiles displayed to customers by app-based booking services.

Taxi drivers do not need to change their existing ID cards (as issued by DoT).

Perth and country taxi-car restrictions lifted

As of July 2019, the restrictions on who can operate Perth and country taxi vehicles, how many there can be and when and where they can operate will be removed.

This means drivers will be able to manage their own levels of service, based on customer needs, rather than have these mandated by the Government.

From 1 July 2019, motor injury insurance premiums will be consistent for both metropolitan and country taxis.

New driver authorisations - 2020

In 2020 the current F and T driver's licence extensions will be replaced by driver authorisations. These will be valid for 12 months and allow holders to drive any authorised vehicle for hire and reward state-wide.

A current National Police Certificate will be required on application and every five years after. Medical assessment reports will also be required every five years unless medical advice requires more frequent reviews.

Heavy penalties will apply for any drivers found to be unauthorised and carrying paying passengers.


Page last updated: Tue Jun 18 2019 12:16:34 PM