Charter vehicle licence

A Charter Vehicle Licence (CVL) is needed for any passenger motor vehicle used for hire and reward, which is not a taxi or a regular passenger transport vehicle.

  Charter Vehicle Licence Policy

All vehicles operating for hire and reward in Western Australia must hold an appropriate licence issued by the Department of Transport's On-demand Transport Business Unit.

With the exception of metropolitan taxis (administered under the Taxi Act 1994), passenger motor vehicles used for hire and reward can be issued with one of the following licences:

  • Omnibus, Charter Vehicles.
  • Omnibus, Regular Passenger Transport Vehicles.
  • Country Taxi, Cars.

This policy was developed pursuant to the Transport Coordination Act 1966 and relates to the licensing of Omnibus - Charter Vehicles (CV). There is no restriction on the number of CV licences that can be granted.

ODT_P_OmnibusCharterVehicleLicencePolicy.pdf icon Omnibus: Charter vehicle licence policy Kb

  Step 1: Obtain the appropriate drivers licence extension

Persons driving passengers for hire and reward (CVL) require a F or T extension on their driver's licence. To apply for a F or T extension visit Become a bus, taxi or charter vehicle driver

You can still apply for a CVL while your T or F extension is in assessment. Just ensure you supply a recent (under three months) NPC with your application.

You do not require a F or T extension to hold a CVL, however any driver operating a Charter Vehicle needs to be licensed with an extension on the driver's licence (F or T extension).

  Step 2: Submit an application

Applying online

If you are applying online via DoTDirect, initiate your application through the Charter Vehicles tab once you have logged in. It's that simple. Please head to Step 4 - Get your vehicle examined.

Login to your online account Register for your online account

Applying via post, email or in person

If you are applying via post, email or in person please complete the application form (OM1.1) and declaration of motor injury insurance class. For more information on vehicle insurance, please visit the On-demand transport licences page.

Where the vehicle is licensed under the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Act 2012 in a name other than the name of the applicant, owner consent from that individual or company must be submitted at the time of the application.

Complete and submit a Vehicle Financial Interest Agreement (ODT6) form between you and the vehicle owner. Third party applications cannot be submitted online.

Where the application is in a company name, you must submit a Recent Company Extract that is no more than 3 months old at the time of application (issued by ASIC). All those listed as directors on the Extract must be listed and sign section 1 of the application form. All listed directors will need to hold a F or T extension and/or supply a National Police clearance as part of your submission.

Your business; your risk

The Department of Transport (DoT) considers your proposed business arrangements for its own purposes. If you make arrangements and they cause you to lose money, that is a matter for you; DoT is not liable. DoT therefore suggests that you take care when making your arrangements. In particular, choose your business associates with care.

ODT_F_OM1.1_Application_for_Omnibus_Charter_Vehicle_licence.pdf icon Application for omnibus: Charter vehicle licence (Form OM1.1) Kb
ODT_F_ODT06_Confirmation_Vehicle_Financial_Interest_Agreement.pdf icon Confirmation of vehicle financial agreement (Form ODT6) Kb
LBU_F_VL_SD_E67_DecMotorInjuryInsurance.pdf icon Declaration of Motor Injury Insurance Class (Form E67) Kb

  Step 3: Department of Transport assessment

Upon receipt of your application, the Department of Transport (DoT) conducts a three step assessment of your application. If we require further information at this point, we will make contact with you.

Once we have completed our assessment, you will be issued with a letter by email or post to take with you to an Authorised Inspection Station

You must have your vehicle inspected within 3 months from the date of the letter, otherwise DoT require a new application.

  Step 4: Undertake a vehicle inspection

DoT inspects all omnibus (CVLs and Regular Passenger Transport) and taxis on an annual basis. This has a direct effect on your vehicles registration.

Some charter vehicle companies have their own have maximum vehicle age and independent inspection requirements. Please liaise directly with these organisations.

Driving instruction vehicles, such as those fitted with duplicate (dual) controls, cannot be licensed as a Charter Vehicle.

For annual inspection (taxi, on-demand) centre locations and inspection visit the vehicle inspections page.

  Step 5: Update your inspection papers

Follow the steps on the letter provided to you by the inspection centre. You can update the inspection result by quoting the inspection (MR) number, you can visit DoT or phone:

  Step 6: Pay for your Charter Vehicle Licence (CVL)

Once the inspection has been updated, you will be issued the account for your CVL within 24 hours. When you receive your invoice by post or email, you must pay the invoice by the due date or you will be required to re-submit another application.

You cannot legally operate until the invoice is paid.

If you have nominated a change to insurance class (3a, 3b or 3f) the adjustment to your vehicle registration will generate upon paying the CVL account.

Third party applicants will just be issued the CVL invoice and the vehicle owner will be issued an invoice to pay the adjustment to insurance class.

  Step 7: Read your omnibus conditions

You must carry your Omnibus - Charter Vehicles - Operating conditions and invoice in the vehicle at all times whilst in operations, as per section 8.1 of your licence conditions. Refer to the sample below.

ODT_P_Sample_Omnibus_Licence_Notice_Account.pdf icon Omnibus licence and account: Charter vehicle - Operating conditions (sample) Kb

  Renewing a Charter Vehicle Licence (CVL)

Renewing your CVL is as simple as:

  • Ensuring your vehicle registration is current.
  • Ensuring your annual inspection is up to date.
  • Paying your CVL.

You can track the above through DoT Direct or alternatively CVL payments can be made online upon receiving your invoice via your nominated email address or by post. Please contact On-demand Transport if you have misplaced your account and invoice as expired CVLs require a new application process.

  Confirmation of your Charter Vehicle Licence (CVL)

Confirmation of your CVL is only available online through DoTDirect.

Go to DoTDirect:

  1. Log into your online account via DoTDirect
  2. Select the Charter Vehicles tab.
  3. Print the required page from your web browser.

Confirmation of your CVL provides you with:

  • CVL expiry date.
  • CVL status.
  • Date and time stamp of the information.
  • Make and model.
  • Plate number.

Examples of DoTDirect screen shots

  How to cancel your Charter Vehicle Licence (CVL)

If you wish to no longer operate a CVL, On-demand Transport require confirmation from you in writing to cancel the CVL. You will also need to complete the E67 Declaration of Motor Injury Insurance form, to change the insurance class to the appropriate type. For most vehicles, this is the 1A insurance class. For third party CVL holders ensure that the E67 is completed by the registered owner of the vehicle.

The CVL fee is linked and payable for each individual charter vehicle. Fees are charged on a cost recovery basis with most of the administrative cost being in processing the application in the first instance. DoT policy is that a refund or credit of a CVL fee paid is only applicable in cases of force majeure or an accident that writes off the vehicle.

For more information on insurance classes visit the On-demand transport licences page.

If the body type of the vehicle is Omnibus then the vehicle requires a minor inspection to change the body type to Bus Type.

Once this is done the licence holder can notify us in writing to cancel the omnibus licence and supply an E67 form.

LBU_F_VL_SD_E67_DecMotorInjuryInsurance.pdf icon Declaration of Motor Injury Insurance Class (Form E67) Kb

  Dual licensed vehicles: School bus operators

Operators of school bus services vehicles (those that are owned by an organisation or person(s) that hold a contract with the Public Transport Authority (PTA), School Bus Services) are entitled to apply for a Charter Vehicle Licence (CVL).

Operators are reminded that the appropriate concessions applied to the licensing of their school bus will be removed from their vehicle upon the granting of a CVL. Applicants for a CVL will also be required to alter their vehicles insurance class via the E67 form. A further vehicle inspection is required when applying for a CVL or reverting to a school bus.

LBU_F_VL_SD_E67_DecMotorInjuryInsurance.pdf icon Declaration of Motor Injury Insurance Class (Form E67) Kb

  Are you purchasing a new car?

If you are purchasing a brand new vehicle, the Department of Transport will exempt the inspection process. This only occurs to new vehicles that have been registered in Western Australia for 10 business days or less. Please contact On-demand Transport before the 10 day exemption expires to confirm your eligibility.

  Transfer / purchase of a Charter Vehicle Licence (CVL)

CVL are non-transferrable. If you are purchasing a vehicle that is licensed as a CVL, contact On-demand Transport to submit a CVL application.

If seller of the CVL knows that the purchaser is going to use the vehicle as a CVL please advise the Department when cancelling the licence. When the new owner applies for a CVL and the application reaches our approval stage, if the vehicle was inspected within the last 3 months an inspection is not required.

  Charter Vehicle Licence plates

This form is to be presented to On-demand Transport (OdT) via email or in person at OdT.

ODT_F_ODT12_AppCharterVLPlate.pdf icon Application for a charter vehicle licence plate (Form ODT 12) Kb

  Starting an eco or nature-based tourism business in Western Australia

Economic Reform, Department of Treasury, is undertaking a series of regulatory mapping and reform projects that focus on identifying and reducing regulatory and administrative impediments in targeted areas of the Western Australian economy. Many of these projects will make it easier for businesses to commence, operate and innovate in Western Australia, and will deliver benefits to local communities.

The 90 Day Regulatory Mapping and Reform Projects were announced in May 2016. These projects will be undertaken continually over a three year period from 2016-17 to 2018-19.

One of the completed projects is Eco and Nature-base Tourism Project: Making it easier to run an eco or nature-based tourism business.

There are many steps involved in establishing an eco or nature-based business. You will need to consider factors including (but not limited to):

  • Business structure and registrations (including business and tax).
  • Licensing requirements.
  • Obligations when selling goods or services.
  • Obligations to staff (if applicable). Occupational health and safety obligations.

Do you need to transport passengers?

If you need to transport passengers there are specific requirements that must be met. Refer to the attached Regulatory Map document (page 4) for an overview. Additional information for commercial operators is provided via the links below.

Opens in a new window Department of Treasury: Eco and nature-based tourism 90-day project
External Link Department of Treasury: Regulatory mapping and reform projects


Page last updated: Wed Dec 12 2018 2:31:09 PM