Custom series plates
Design and order your 'Custom' plates (online)
Check if your plate characters are available and buy online.
Alternatively you may download an application form and post it, along with a cheque (made payable to the Department of Transport), or take it to your nearest Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent.
All plate applications are reviewed for issue prior to final approval. The Director General reserves the right to refuse any plate application, please refer to the information below.
Custom plate fees
|Custom series licence plates: Aluminium||$535.00|
|Custom series licence plates: Acrylic||$685.00|
|Optional plates: Application form||Kb|
|Optional plates: General terms and conditions||Kb|
|Plates (Frequently Asked Questions)||Kb|
Design features 'Custom' plates
You may select a combination of up to seven (7) letters and numbers on normal size aluminium plates, or up to nine (9) letters and numbers on normal size acrylic plates.
- Maximum of 9 characters for motor vehicle plates.
- Maximum of 7 characters for motorcycle plates.
- Plates cannot be comprised of only numbers.
- Plates cannot include leading spaces.
Custom series plates are available in a variety of design features, including 15 different colour combinations that will make your plate really stand out from the crowd.
Custom series plates are available in aluminium and acrylic.
Custom series plates are available in a range of sizes. All you need to do is select the size you want: normal, 3/4 size, 1/2 size, or slim line. You can even have a slim line plate on the front and a normal size plate on the rear of your vehicle.
Available sizes (Custom)
|Vehicle type||Size type||Dimensions||Material|
|Motor vehicle or trailer||1/2 size||190 mm x 134 mm||Aluminium and acrylic|
|Motor vehicle or trailer||3/4 size||315 mm x 134 mm||Aluminium and acrylic|
|Motor vehicle or trailer||Normal size||372 mm x 134 mm||Aluminium and acrylic|
|Motor vehicle or trailer||Slim line||372 mm x 100 mm||Aluminium and acrylic|
|Motor vehicles only||Combination||372 mm x 100 mm - front
372 mm x 134 mm - rear
|Aluminium and acrylic|
|Motorcycle||Small size||190 mm x 100 mm||Aluminium only|
|Motorcycle||Normal size||254 mm x 100 mm||Aluminium and acrylic|
Refusal of plate application
The Chief Executive Officer reserves the right to refuse any plate application.
Grounds for refusal include but are not limited to:
- Have offensive, sensitive or contentious connotations (for example, sexual, violent, drug related, perverse or racial content).
- Have negative political or anti law references (for example, gang related names or conflicts with road safety messages).
- Be likely to incite or promote hatred including but not limited to negative religious or cult references.
- Be a registered name of a company or business, and the applicant is not the Director of the said company or business for which the plate is requested.
- Be ambiguous and plate characters not easily identifiable.
- Be in contravention of any State or Commonwealth Legislation (for example ANZAC, NAVY, RAN, AFC, RAAF).
- Be a close resemblance of character combinations of an existing registration plate or series of plates.
- Any of the above in a language other than English or could be read by using a rear view mirror.
- Make or model of vehicle.
Fitting plates to your vehicle
Screws are not supplied with plates issued by the Department of Transport.
You will need to organise the removal of the old plates and attachment of the new plates yourself, or arrange for them to be fitted by a car dealership or garage.
As vehicle design specifications vary, plates in the Euro Series are produced without any pre-drilled holes. This allows you to position the holes to suit your vehicle.