Personalised series plates
Design and order your 'Personalised' plates (online)
Check if your plate characters are available and buy online.
Alternatively you may download an application form and post it, along with a cheque (made payable to the Department of Transport), or take it to your nearest Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent.
All plate applications are reviewed for issue prior to final approval. The Director General reserves the right to refuse any plate application, please refer to the information below.
Personalised plate fee
|Personalised series licence plates||$104.60|
|Optional plates: Application form||Kb|
|Personalised plates: Terms and conditions||Kb|
|Plates (Frequently Asked Questions)||Kb|
Design features 'Personalised' plates
The format consists of up to three (3) letters on the left and three (3) numbers on the right.
Personalised series plates are available in a reflective blue background with black letters and numbers only.
The image displayed is an approximate representation and may vary from the actual plate.
Personalised series plates are only available in aluminium.
Personalised series plates are only available in normal size.
Available sizes (Personalised)
|Vehicle type||Size type||Dimensions||Material|
|Motor vehicle or trailer||Normal size||372 mm x 134 mm||Aluminium|
|Motorcycle||Normal size||254 mm x 100 mm||Aluminium|
Refusal of plate application
The Chief Executive Officer reserves the right to refuse any plate application.
Grounds for refusal include but are not limited to:
- Have offensive, sensitive or contentious connotations (for example, sexual, violent, drug related, perverse or racial content).
- Have negative political or anti law references (for example, gang related names or conflicts with road safety messages).
- Be likely to incite or promote hatred including but not limited to negative religious or cult references.
- Be a registered name of a company or business, and the applicant is not the Director of the said company or business for which the plate is requested.
- Be ambiguous and plate characters not easily identifiable.
- Be in contravention of any State or Commonwealth Legislation (for example ANZAC, NAVY, RAN, AFC, RAAF).
- Be a close resemblance of character combinations of an existing registration plate or series of plates.
- Any of the above in a language other than English or could be read by using a rear view mirror.
- Make or model of vehicle.
Rights to display and trade 'Personalised' plates
Unlike other optional plates, the Personalised series plates are not issued with a 'Right to display and trade certificate', therefore you cannot sell the right to a Personalised series plate.
On approval, Personalised series plates may only be issued to a vehicle licensed in the person name to whom the plates have been issued, or to a member of their immediate family.
Fitting plates to your vehicle
Screws are not supplied with plates issued by the Department of Transport.
You will need to organise the removal of the old plates and attachment of the new plates yourself, or arrange for them to be fitted by a car dealership or garage.
As vehicle design specifications vary, plates in the Euro Series are produced without any pre-drilled holes. This allows you to position the holes to suit your vehicle.