Retro series plates
Design and order your 'Retro' plates (online)
Check if your plate characters are available and buy online.
Alternatively you may download an application form and post it, along with a cheque (made payable to the Department of Transport), or take it to your nearest Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent.Check your Retro plate now
Design features 'Retro' plates
You can choose the prefix U or X, followed by two (2) letters and three (3) numbers.
Retro series plates are available with a black or white background.
The images displayed are an approximate representation and may vary from the actual plate.
Retro series plates are only available in aluminium.
The Retro series is not available for trailers.
Available sizes (Retro)
|Vehicle type||Size type||Dimensions||Material|
|Motor vehicles||Normal size||372 mm x 134 mm||Aluminium|
|Motor vehicles||Slim line||372 mm x 100 mm||Aluminium|
|Motor vehicles||Combination||372 mm x 100 mm - front
372 mm x 134 mm - rear
|Motorcycles||Normal size||254 mm x 100 mm||Aluminium|
How to order 'Retro' plates
Check if your plate characters are available, design your plates and order online.
Alternatively you may download an application form and post it, along with a cheque (made payable to the Department of Transport), or take it to your nearest Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent.
All plate applications are reviewed for issue prior to final approval. The Director General reserves the right to refuse any plate application, please refer to the information below.Check your Retro plate now
|Optional plates: Application form||Kb|
|Optional plates: General terms and conditions||Kb|
|Plates (Frequently Asked Questions)||Kb|
Refusal of plate application
The Chief Executive Officer reserves the right to refuse any plate application.
Grounds for refusal include but are not limited to:
- Have offensive, sensitive or contentious connotations (for example, sexual, violent, drug related, perverse or racial content).
- Have negative political or anti law references (for example, gang related names or conflicts with road safety messages).
- Be likely to incite or promote hatred including but not limited to negative religious or cult references.
- Be a registered name of a company or business, and the applicant is not the Director of the said company or business for which the plate is requested.
- Be ambiguous and plate characters not easily identifiable.
- Be in contravention of any State or Commonwealth Legislation (for example ANZAC, NAVY, RAN, AFC, RAAF).
- Be a close resemblance of character combinations of an existing registration plate or series of plates.
- Any of the above in a language other than English or could be read by using a rear view mirror.
- Make or model of vehicle.
Fitting plates to your vehicle
Screws are not supplied with plates issued by the Department of Transport.
You will need to organise the removal of the old plates and attachment of the new plates yourself, or arrange for them to be fitted by a car dealership or garage.
As vehicle design specifications vary, plates in the Euro Series are produced without any pre-drilled holes. This allows you to position the holes to suit your vehicle.
PlatesWA personalised plate fees (2017/2018)
Personalised and special series plate fees
|Plate sample||Fee||Plate description|
|$450.00||Biz Plate: Sash message|
|$550.00||Biz Plate: Library image|
|$595.00||Biz Plate: Own logo|
|$625.00||Biz Plate: Own photo|
|$870.00||Euro Custom Plus|
|$200.00||Retro: Black on white|
|$250.00||Retro: White on black|
|$200.00||Retro conversion: Black on white|
|$250.00||Retro conversion: White on black|
Visit the Plate fees page for details of all plate related fees.