Freedom of information
Freedom of information: Introduction
The Western Australian Freedom of Information Act 1992 (the FOI Act) gives you the right to apply for access to documents held by the Department.
We will help you to obtain access to documents at the lowest reasonable cost, and ensure that personal information we hold is accurate, complete, up to date and not misleading.
Your right to apply is not affected by any reasons you have for wishing to obtain access. The kinds of documents to which you may request access include paper files, computer records, maps, plans, photographs, tape recordings, films, video tapes and electronically stored information.
For information and advice on the FOI process please contact:
|Street address||Postal address||Telephone||Fax|
Department of Transport,
140 William Street,
Perth WA 6000
Department of Transport,
GPO Box C102,
Perth WA 6839
|Department of Justice: The Western Australian Freedom of Information Act 1992|
Freedom of information: How to apply for access to information
If you wish to apply under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 1992 (FOI Act) to be given access to information held within the Department, these are the steps that you need to take. Under section 12 of the FOI Act all these points must be satisfied to make the application valid.
The application has to:
- Be in writing (we prefer if you use our application form and read the application notes to assist your application).
- Give enough information to enable the requested documents to be identified.
- Give an address in Australia to which notices under the Act can be sent.
- Give any other information or details required under the regulations.
- Be lodged at an office with any application fee payable under the regulations ($30.00 per application. Cash and credit cards are not accepted).
An applicant seeking access to personal information about him/herself must also provide documentary proof to establish their identity before the information will be released (e.g. a passport or driver's licence).
No fees or charges apply for personal information or amendment of personal information about yourself (for example, your medical records; details of employment etc) but proof of identity must be supplied.
We will make a decision whether to grant or refuse access within 45 calendar days and will advise you of any charges that may be applicable in dealing with the application.
We will also provide the following information:
- The applicant's right to a review of the decision and the process involved in seeking that review.
- Full details of the decision to either give or deny access.
- The date of the decision.
- Name of decision-makers.
- Any reasons for exemptions including the applicable clause in the Act that relates to that exemption.
- If giving access to an edited copy, state the reasons why the material is to be edited.
- If deferring access, state the reasons why the matter is being deferred.
- State the arrangements for giving access.
An application form and notes are provided below. You may also obtain a paper copy of the form from any of our offices or contact the FOI Coordinator.
|Freedom of information: Application for access to documents||Kb|
|Freedom of Information: Application notes||Kb|
Freedom of information: Fees and charges
Fees and charges fall into three categories:
- Application for documents (for example: which are non-personal in nature) require a $30.00 application fee to be paid when the application is lodged.
- Processing fees which include decision-making, any consultation (with third parties), preparing a notice of decision and if necessary photocopying. A fee of $30.00 per hour is charged for staff time taken to deal with each application. In addition 20 cents per copy for photocopying will be charged.
- Actual costs to the department for postage, special arrangements for access and for specialised access such as reproductions.
No fees are applicable for:
- Internal or external reviews.
- Personal information or amendment of personal information about yourself (for example: your medical records; details of employment etc).
Freedom of Information (FoI) fees
|Freedom of information (FOI): Personal information about applicant||No fee|
|Freedom of information (FOI): Application fee, for non-personal information||$30.00|
|Freedom of information (FOI): Charge for time taken dealing with the application||$30.00 |
|Freedom of information (FOI): Charge for access time supervised by staff||$30.00 |
|Freedom of information (FOI): Charges for photocopying||$30.00 |
 Per hour
 Per hour for staff time and 20 cents per copy
Freedom of information: Information statement
To assist you in finding the information you need, the Department for has prepared an information statement. The statement describes:
- The structure and functions of the Department.
- The ways in which the functions of the Department affect members of the public.
- Any arrangements that exist to enable members of the public to participate in the formulation of the Department's policy and the performance of the Department's functions.
- The types of documents that are usually found at the Department.
- The Department's arrangements for giving members of the public access to documents including details of library facilities.
You can download the information statement below.
|Freedom of information: Information statement||Kb|