Heavy Rigid (HR) licence

How to upgrade your licence to drive a heavy rigid (HR class) vehicle.

A Heavy Rigid (HR class) vehicle licence allows you to drive a:

  • Heavy Rigid (HR) vehicle with 3 or more axles and a gross vehicle mass (GVM) greater than 8,000 kg
  • Medium Rigid (MR) vehicle
  • Light Rigid (LR) vehicle
  • Car
  • Moped.

You can also tow a trailer with a maximum GVM of 9,000 kg.

Examples of Heavy Rigid vehicles

Illustration of a heavy rigid truck Illustration of a heavy rigid bus


Experience requirements

To apply for a heavy vehicle class licence, you must not be a provisional licence holder and have held either a:

  • Car (C class) licence for at least 2 years, or
  • Light rigid (LR) vehicle licence for at least 1 year, or
  • Medium Rigid (MR) vehicle licence for at least 1 year.


Interstate and overseas heavy vehicle licence holders

You can transfer a current interstate driver’s licence for any vehicle class to a WA driver’s licence without having to complete a practical driving assessment.

If you have a current New Zealand driver’s licence for any class (except Multi Combination vehicles), you can apply to transfer it to a WA driver’s licence.

If you have a heavy vehicle licence from another country, your previous driving experience may be recognised when applying for a WA driver’s licence. Visit a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre, DoT regional centre or agent or call 13 11 56 for more information.

How to get a HR class vehicle licence

Step 1: Learn to drive

If you hold a current C class or Light Rigid (LR), or Medium Rigid (MR) driver's licence, you can begin to learn to drive a HR class vehicle.

You do not need to apply for a learner's permit.

When learning to drive you must be accompanied by a supervisor who is either:

  • a licensed driving instructor holding a HR class or higher class driver's licence,
  • an instructor in a youth driver education course holding an HR class or higher class driver's licence; or
  • a person who has held a current HR class driver’s licence for at least 4 years

You must also:

  • display L plates on the front and back of the vehicle when you are driving
  • not exceed the posted speed limit, and you cannot exceed 100 km/h
  • not have a blood alcohol concentration exceeding 0.00%
  • not drive in areas where learners are not permitted.

You can also undertake training through one of our registered training organisations.

Please note that prior to undertaking any instruction in a HR vehicle, you will need to ensure that you meet the commercial vehicle medical standards for driving as outlined in Assessing Fitness to Drive national medical standards for licensing and clinical management guidelines.

Step 2: Submit an application form in person

To apply to upgrade your licence, you will need to visit a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre, regional DoT centre or agent and:

  • submit a completed driver’s licence application form (Form DLA1) (below)
  • show the required proof of identity documents
  • pay a fee for your application and theory test
  • take and pass the heavy vehicle theory test
  • take an eyesight test
  • make a medical declaration.

Additional class application fee

Fee type Fee
Additional class application fee including one Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) (not HC or MC class) $143.30

Application fee is assessed by registered training organisation

Fee type Fee
HR driver's licence class application $60.30
HR driver's licence class restriction removal $60.30

Eyesight test

You will need to take an commercial vehicle standard eye test when you apply to upgrade your licence.

If you need to wear glasses or contacts to pass the eyesight test, your licence will show that you must also wear them when driving.

Commercial medical declaration

When you apply for a MC licence, you must declare if you take any medication or have a permanent, long-term mental or physical condition (including drug or alcohol dependence) that is likely to impair your ability to control a heavy commercial vehicle.

Find out more about reporting a medical condition.

Heavy vehicle theory test

You will need to pass a heavy vehicle theory test to get a heavy rigid class licence.

The theory test assesses your understanding of the road rules and heavy vehicle driving in WA.

You can find all the information you need to pass the test in the Drive Safe and Heavy vehicle theory test fact sheet below.

You cannot use your phone or refer to notes during the test.

Step 3: Book and pass the practical driving assessment

To upgrade your licence, you will need to take a practical driving assessment (PDA) in a HR class vehicle.

You can book a PDA for HR class vehicles:

Once you have passed your PDA, you will need to visit a Driver and Vehicle Services centre, regional DoT office or agent to have your heavy vehicle licence endorsed.

You need to bring:

  • photocopy of the signed and completed Heavy Vehicle PDA Customer Eligibility (Form E114) (if PDA was completed with a registered training organisation)
  • Multi-Combination/Heavy Combination Assessment Result document (if PDA was completed with a DoT assessor)
  • proof of identity documents.

Your driver’s licence card will be updated when you renew your current licence.

If you would like to update your licence card before your next renewal, you can order a replacement licence.

Synchromesh vehicles

If you complete your PDA in a vehicle fitted with a synchromesh transmission you will only be permitted to drive vehicles fitted with a synchromesh gearbox.

A synchromesh transmission is a type of manual gearbox found in modern cars and trucks which uses synchronising collars to help make smooth gear changes.

If you complete the PDA in a heavy vehicle of a higher class fitted with a non-synchromesh transmission you can drive vehicles (except motorcycles) fitted with automatic or manual gearboxes of either type.

National Driver Work Diary

You must carry and complete a National Driver Work Diary if you drive:

  • a vehicle or vehicle combination weighing more than 12 tonnes or a bus fitted to carry more than 12 adults including the driver; and
  • outside of Western Australia and the Northern Territory.

You must record your work and rest details of all trips more than 100 kilometres from your driver base.

Find out more about the National Driver Work Diary.

Page last updated: Fri Jul 5 2024 9:20:06 AM