Become a driving instructor
How to become a licensed driving instructor in WA
The driving instructors information pack provides all the information you need to know on being a driving instructor in Western Australia, including:
- How and when to renew your instructors licence.
- How to add additional classes to your driving instructor's licence.
- Legal requirements.
- Maintaining your driving instructors licence, your obligations.
- Prerequisites (eligibility).
- Recognition of prior learning.
- Step by step instructions on how to obtain your driving instructor's licence.
An applicant must have held an appropriate type of driver's licence for a continuous period of at least three (3) years and must be at least 21 years of age, on the date of application.
Related information: Get a driving instructors licence
- Motor Vehicle Drivers Instructors Act 1963 (WA)
Driving Instructor fees
|Driving instructor's application fee||$94.60|
|Driving instructor's licence fee||$5.35|
|Driving instructor's duplicate licence fee||$7.80|
|Driving instructor's testing fee||$161.80|
|Application for Instructors Licence (Form E175)||Kb|
|Proof of identity requirements (Fact sheet)||Kb|
|Department of Justice: Motor Vehicle Drivers Instructors Act 1963|
Transfer a driving instructors licence
Transfer of overseas driving instructors licence
A driving instructors licence from overseas is not transferable and you must apply for a driving instructor's licence in Western Australia.
Transfer of interstate driving instructor's licence
Interstate driving instructor licences may be transferable under the Mutual Recognition Act 1992 (Commonwealth).
- Certification may not be suitable to grant an exemption from undertaking and passing theoretical and practical testing. This will depend on whether certification is an accredited and relevant Certificate IV in driving instruction and provided by a Registered Training Organisation, as listed in Schedule 2, Prescribed Bodies in Motor Vehicle Drivers Instructors Regulations 1964.
- You must hold a current Western Australian driver's licence.
- You must attend a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent to apply for mutual recognition of a driving instructors licence.
Step 1: Prepare application
Complete the Application for Instructors Licence (Form E175) and Mutual Recognition forms below.
Ensure you have certified copies of the following documents to support your application:
- Current driver instructor certification documents.
- Driver's licence.
- National Police Certificate (No older than 3 months).
- Traffic Conviction Certificate (Included in the National Police Certificate).
- Traffic Infringement Certificate. (No older than 3 months).
A fee is payable (refer to schedule of fees below).
* Documents to be certified by a Justice of the Peace, Police Officer, or staff member at a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent.
Step 2: Attend a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent
You must attend a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent to make application for Mutual Recognition of a driving instructor licence.
|Application for Instructors Licence (Form E175)||Kb|
|Australasian Legal Information Institute (AustLII): Mutual Recognition Act 1992 (Commonwealth)|
Add additional classes to your driving instructor's licence
If you wish to instruct in additional classes of vehicles you will need to sit the required tests in that class or obtain certificate qualification for that class.
More information is provided in the driving instructors information pack below.
|How to become a licensed driving instructor in Western Australia (Fact Sheet)||Kb|
Maintaining your driving instructors licence and vehicle
In addition to abiding by any conditions attached to your licence you must:
- Carry your driving instructors licence whenever you are instructing.
- Ensure your advertisements specify the class of motor vehicle in which you are licensed to provide instruction.
- Ensure your instruction vehicle undergoes an annual vehicle inspection and your vehicle provided for the purpose of instruction is fitted with dual controls for the front passenger seat. Refer to the driving instruction vehicles section of this website for more information.
- If your driving instructors licence is cancelled, suspended or expired return it to a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent within three (3) days. This also applies if you no longer wish to instruct.
- Make sure you have signed your name in the driving instructors licence booklet.
- Notify us if your booklet is lost or destroyed.
- Notify us if you change your name or address.
- Renew your licence when required (see below).
More information is provided in the driving instructors information pack.
Renew your driving instructor's licence
A driving instructor's licence is only valid for one (1) year from the date it was issued.
A renewal advice letter will be mailed to you two (2) months prior to the expiry date. However, it is your responsibility to be aware of your expiry date and arrange your renewal.
To renew your licence you will need to attend a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent and pay the annual fee.
- Expired licences must be returned to a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent within three (3) days.
- If you do not renew your licence by the expiry date you will need to reapply.
You are required to undertake regular medical examinations. To find out more refer to the information pack below.
Requirements to re-sit theory and practical assessments
Depending on the method you used to obtain a licence, you may be required to re-sit theory and practical assessments every three (3) years. To find out more refer to the driving instructor's information pack.
Driver competency standards
The driver competency standards specify the attributes of safe driver performance and behaviour in relation to all vehicles.
The standards are the foundation for both training and assessment, so they are particularly useful for anyone teaching a person to drive.
Professional driving instructors can use it to develop checklists of learning points and devise comprehensive training programs.
|Driver competency standard||Kb|
|Heavy vehicle competency standard||Kb|
|Light vehicle competency standard||Kb|
|Motorcycle competency standard||Kb|
|Multi Combination competency standard||Kb|