Driver's licence refunds

There are many reasons why you may wish to apply for a refund, including voluntary surrender, deceased estate, change to concession status and payment error. Find out how to apply for driver's licence refund in WA.

  Eligibility: Refunds

A refund of fees paid for WA driver's licences and related processes can be arranged if you:

  • Become eligible for a licence concession after the commencement of the current licence period. For example: you pay for a five-year licence and become eligible for a concession mid-way through the second year. The refund will only apply for years three, four and five.
  • Decide not to proceed with a driving assessment or Hazard Perception Test where the fee has already been paid.
  • Decide not to proceed with a licence application.
  • Surrender your driver's licence before the licence expiry date.

Refunds of the driver's licence fees may be granted for the following reasons:

Voluntary surrender

When you surrender your WA driver's licence a refund for part of the fees paid is available, calculated based on whole year periods.

If you no longer wish to hold your driver’s licence and would like to surrender it, you will need to complete and return a Variation or Surrender of Driver’s Licence (Form E55) along with your driver’s licence card to the Department of Transport (DoT).

Refunds will not be granted where you held a WA licence and obtained a licence from another Australian jurisdiction at no charge under the No Fee Conversion initiative.

Deceased estate

If you are the next of kin or executor can make an application for refund of the remaining part of a driver's licence fee paid, calculated based on whole-year periods remaining.

The applicable refund will be made to the estate of the deceased.

Change to concession status

If you are an eligible concession card holder a refund of driver's licence fees is based on the date that the concession was first granted by the issuing body. The refund may only be backdated for a maximum of five years, calculated based on whole-year periods.

Payment error

Where a payment error has been made, such as paying a driver's licence renewal twice, you must attach the original receipt reflecting the incorrect payment to the refund application.

If your receipt has been lost or destroyed, you will need to complete section 4 and 7 of the refund form detailing the circumstances in order for a refund to be considered.

Practical Driving Assessment refund

Driver and Vehicle Services policy is to refund a driving or riding assessment fee on request provided you have given at least two working days notice for cancellation of your assessment booking.

If less than two days' notice has been given, a refund will not be issued.

  Refunds for driver's licence fees and related payments

  • A person is not eligible for a refund if their original payment was by cheque or credit card and the bank has not yet cleared the payment.
  • Licence fee refunds cannot be made if the licence is subject to a penalty or suspension under the Fines Penalties, and Infringement Notices Enforcement Act 1994 administered by the Department of the Attorney General.
  • Licence fee refunds can only be made to the person holding the licence, or to the estate of the deceased in the case of a deceased estate.
  • Unpaid administrative fees incurred in respect of the driver's licence may be deducted from the refund amount.
  • The refund may only be backdated for a maximum of five years and is calculated based on whole-year periods.
Opens in a new window Department of Justice: Fines, Penalties and Infringement Notices Enforcement Act 1994

  Submitting a driver's licence refund request

If you have an individual DoTDirect account, you can apply for a refund for certain eligible driver’s licence refunds via DoTDirect.

Where a refund is not available via DoTDirect, ‘No credits to be refunded found’ is shown. In this case you can apply for a refund if one should be applicable by submitting:

  • Completed refund form (Form C2).
  • Proof of purchase (original receipt).

The form and receipt can be submitted at any Driver and Vehicle Services centre, regional DoT office or agent, or by mail to:

Street address Postal address Telephone Fax Email
Driver and Vehicle Services,
GPO Box R1290,
Perth WA 6844

Please download the driver's licence refund form.

  Surrender of driver's licence document

You can return your Driver's licence document at any Driver and Vehicle Services centre, regional DoT office or agent.

Deceased estate

The Department of Transport recognises that the death of a relative or friend is a difficult time. Births, Deaths and Marriages WA periodically notify the Department of recorded deaths in WA. A certified copy of the death certificate can also be presented at a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre, regional Department of Transport office or authorised agent.

  • The deceased person's driver's licence will be updated so that no correspondence is sent to the deceased person.
  • The driver's licence document may be surrendered by the next of kin or executor of the estate.

Further information

Please refer to Driver licence fees and payments.

For information about transferring of Vehicle licences that are part of a deceased estate please refer to our page on Transfer by court order or deceased estate (vehicles)

Page last updated: Mon Feb 5 2024 5:47:20 PM