Light Rigid licence (LR)

Find out how to upgrade to a Light Rigid (LR class) heavy vehicle licence after you have held your Car (C class) licence for 12 months.

  Light Rigid (LR class) heavy vehicle

A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle mass over 4,500 kg to a maximum of 8,000 kg (no axle limit) or which carries more than 12 passengers (including the driver) to a maximum of 8,000 kg.

LR class vehicle busLR class vehicle truckLR class vehicle tractor

Experience required to upgrade your licence or remove a restriction When you can start learning to drive Licence authorisation
Must have held: a Car (C class) licence for at least one (1) year. On attaining your Car (C class) licence. If you are authorised to drive Light Rigid (LR class) vehicles you may drive any:
  • Motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor carrier, with a GVM exceeding 4,500 kg but not exceeding 8,000 kg.
  • Motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor carrier, not exceeding 4,500 kg that is equipped to seat more than 12 adult (including the driver).
  • Car (C class) motor vehicle.
  • Moped (R-N class).

  Light Rigid (LR class) heavy vehicle licence

Light Rigid (LR class) heavy vehicle heavy vehicle licences allow you to drive vehicles with either:

  • Gross vehicle mass (GVM) between 4,500 to 8,000 kg.
  • Capacity for more than 12 passengers (including the driver).

You will also be allowed to tow a trailer with a maximum GVM equal to one of the following:

  • Maximum loaded mass of a trailer recommended by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle.
  • Maximum loaded mass specified in the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014 (WA).

For more information, please go to the National Transport Commission's load restraint guide.

In order to gain an LR class licence, you must have held a Car (C class) licence for a minimum of 12 months.

Opens in a new window National Transport Commission (NTC): Load restraint guide (Look for 2nd edition 2004)
Opens in a new window Department of Justice: Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014

  Step 1: Learn to drive (LR class)

Once you have been issued your C class driver's licence, you can begin to learn to drive Light Rigid (LR class) heavy vehicles.

A learner's permit is not required, however, you must be accompanied by a supervisor who is either:

  • A licensed driving instructor holding an LR or higher class driver's licence, or
  • A person who has held a current LR driver's licence for at least 4 years.

As a learner driver, you must also display L plates and comply with any other conditions as required.

Visit the Learn to drive/ride page for more information on what rules you are subject to as a novice rider.

Please download the printable L plates.

LBU_DL_I_Lplatelearner.pdf icon 'L' plates: yellow (printable) Kb

  Step 2: Complete an application (Form DLA1)

Once you have held your C class licence for 12 months you can apply to upgrade your licence to an LR class.

Please download and complete the form.

LBU_F_DL_DLA_1_DriversLicenceApplication.pdf icon Driver's licence application (Form DLA1) Kb

  Step 3: Provide proof of identity

You will be required to submit sufficient proof of your identify for the application.

Please go to Proof of identity for more information.

  Step 4: Submit the application in person (Form DLA1)

Applications for a Western Australian driver's licence must be submitted in person at a Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional agent.

You will need to provide:

  • Completed vehicle licence application form DLA1.
  • Proof of identity documents.
  • Required fees.


Applications cannot be submitted by post.

LBU_F_DL_DLA_1_DriversLicenceApplication.pdf icon Driver's licence application (Form DLA1) Kb

  Step 5: Undertake an eyesight test: Light Rigid (LR class)

All applicants will be required to take the eye test when applying for a driver's licence.

This will be conducted at the Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional agent when you apply for your licence. If you use any visual aids to pass the eyesight test, your licence will be endorsed to show that you must wear those aids when driving.

  Step 6: Pass the Practical Driving Assessment: Light Rigid (LR class)

Before your licence can be issued, you will need to take a Practical Driving Assessment in an LR class vehicle.

Visit the Pass the Practical Driving Assessment page for more information. You can also download the fact sheet below.

What happens if I fail the Practical Driving Assessment?

If you fail the Practical Driving Assessment, you will need to retake the assessment after a minimum of 7 calendar days.

This will allow you more time to improve your practical driving skills and therefore achieve the required driving standard.

You will be required to pay another Practical Driving Assessment fee.


There are no exemptions to this waiting period.

  Book a PDA with the DoT (first licence and upgrade)

Book a Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) with the Department of Transport (first licence and upgrade).

Book a Practical Driving Assessment (online)

Learner driver fees

There is no fee for renewing a learner's permit if the learner driver has sat the theory test in the past 5 years. If not, the learner driver will need to sit and pass the learner's permit theory test. (Fee listed below)
Fee type Fee
Learner's permit Computerised Theory Test (CTT)
Sit the learner's permit theory test (CTT) $19.25
Subsequent learner's permit theory resits (CTT) $13.95
Learner's Guide and Log Book (includes access to the Learn&Log app) $7.35
Learner's permit document replacement $30.00
Hazard Perception Test (HPT)
Sit the initial Hazard Perception Test (HPT) $22.20
Every subsequent Hazard Perception Test (HPT) resit $15.40
Practical Driving Assessment (PDA)
Application fee including one Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) $89.15
Every subsequent Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) resit $81.40

PDA bookings may also be made:

You are encouraged to make your booking as early as possible as this will increase your chance of getting a preferred assessment date and time.


Due to the inherent dangers Alpha Inflator airbags pose, a vehicle fitted with a Takata Alpha Inflator airbag, or subject to a critical recall, is not able to be used for a practical driving assessment (PDA). Please see our Vehicle safety, standards and security page for more information about Takata airbags.

  • Bookings are free of charge for senior licence renewals (Drivers who are aged 85 years and older).
  • If your Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) is cancelled less than 2 full working days from the date of your booking you will have to pay to book another.
  • If you are late for your appointment, fail to show up or your log book has not been completed correctly or signed, you will not be assessed and will have to rebook and pay for another PDA.
DVS_F_DL_E49_DecSupervisedNightDriving.pdf icon Declaration of supervised night time driving (Form E49) Kb
LBU_DL_B_PDAOnlineUserGuide.pdf icon Practical Driving Assessment: Online booking service user guide Kb

Who can book online?

Online PDA bookings are limited to tests in the following vehicle classes:

Who can't book online?

Online PDA bookings are not available for the following vehicle classes:

You cannot book online if your PDA is required as a result of:

  • A medical condition and the medical assessment process is incomplete.
  • An extraordinary licence application.
  • A conditional licence application.


  • The licence or learner's permit is subject to a sanction.

Please call 13 11 56 to book your PDA if any of these circumstances apply to you.

  Step 7: Issue of licence: Light Rigid licence (LR class)

Once you have passed your practical assessment, your licence record will be updated to show that you are now authorised to drive LR class heavy vehicles.

However, a new driver's licence card will only be issued when you renew your current licence. You may wish to order a replacement licence that will reflect your updated vehicle class.


If you have a provisional licence, you will still be subject to the same provisional status while driving an LR class heavy vehicle. If your existing vehicle licence is a full licence, your LR class licence will also be a full licence.

Visit the Get a provisional licence page for important information on the rules and conditions for provisional licences.

  Heavy vehicle competency standard

The vehicle competency standards aim to produce safer drivers and underpin the driver training and licensing system in Western Australia.

The heavy vehicle standards are used by assessors to determine if learner drivers are competent in operating heavy vehicles. It is not a set of competencies for learner drivers, but should be used as a guide for driving instructors.

Please download the standard.

LBU_DL_CS_HeavyVehicleDrivers.pdf icon Heavy vehicle competency standard Kb


Page last updated: Fri Mar 29 2019 4:42:51 PM