Pensioner free trip scheme
About the scheme
The Pensioner Annual Free Trip Scheme is part of our commitment to make transport services accessible to all Western Australians.
Pensioners who live north of the 26th parallel are entitled to one return journey by air or coach, per year, to Perth or elsewhere in the South West Land Division (provided the fare is not greater than that to Perth).
More information is provided in the document below.
|Pensioner Annual Free Trip Scheme (PAFTS): Summary||Kb|
Conditions of travel
- Trips must always originate from, and return to, north of the 26th parallel. Travel cannot be undertaken between towns north of the 26th parallel.
- If you do not use your entitlement before it expires, it is not carried over to the next year. Unused trips do not accumulate.
- Only the person issued with the WA Free Trip Voucher is entitled to the free trip. The ticket cannot be transferred, sold or used by another person.
- When applying for free travel under the Scheme, you must tell us when you will be returning as no 'open' tickets are issued. The return trip must be taken within three months of the forward leg of the trip, subject to ticket conditions.
- If you travel to Perth or another location within the South West Land Division by car, you may use your WA Free Trip Voucher for the return leg of the trip, if that is by air or coach. This return leg will be considered your full entitlement under the Scheme.
- If you choose to book and pay for your trip before applying for free travel, you may apply for reimbursement by sending a copy of your ticket, your WA Free Trip Voucher and a completed Application for Pensioner Annual Free Trip Entitlement form to the Department's Travel Subsidy Officer.
- No allowance is paid for the cost of travel to your departure point.
- Free travel does not include stop-over charges.
- Travel is subject to the availability of bookings with the transport operator.
- If you cancel your trip you must notify the Department immediately so your travel entitlement can be reinstated. Reinstatement of your travel entitlement will depend on the cancellation conditions of your booking.
- Any fees incurred as a result of cancelling or changing travel arrangements must be borne by the traveller.
The Scheme provides for trips to Perth or the South West Land Division (provided the fare is not greater than that to Perth). When travelling by air, the entitlement is limited to the cost of the minimum 14 day advance purchase ticket.
It is important to apply for your entitlement at least one month before your proposed date of travel.
This will ensure sufficient time for the Department to process your application and allow you to meet booking requirements.
How to apply
Complete the Application for Pensioner Annual Free Trip Entitlement form below and send it, together with your WA Free Trip Voucher, to the address shown.
Upon approval of your application, we will send you a Pensioner Travel Subsidy Voucher, which can then be exchanged for a ticket.
|Pensioner annual free trip scheme: Application to claim entitlement||Kb|
|Pensioner annual free trip scheme: Replacement of free travel vouchers application (Form ODT38)||Kb|
|Supplier creation maintenance: Student travel subsidies (Form ODT58)||Kb|
|Street address||Postal address||Telephone||Fax|
|Travel Subsidy Officer
Department of Transport
GPO Box C102
Perth, WA 6839
|1300 660 147|
- Please ensure that you complete all sections of the application form.
- It is important to apply for your entitlement at least one month before your proposed date of travel. This will ensure sufficient time for the us to process your application and allow you to meet booking requirements.
- If a booking is not available for the date specified on the Pensioner Travel Subsidy Voucher and you wish to change your travel date by more than 1 month, you should contact the travel subsidy officer.
- If you have not received/lost your current Centrelink voucher, please complete the statutory declaration form. (Pensioner annual free trip scheme: Replacement of free travel vouchers application)