Closed waters information
Where fireworks are to be held on or over navigable waters it is a requirement of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety that the waters are closed by the Department of Transport (DoT) to boating and swimming. The closure is for safety measures during the set up and display of fireworks.
The application process allows for the closure to be assessed to ensure that all waterway users are taken into consideration, that there are a sufficient number of suitable support craft to maintain the required closure area as well as adequate fire fighting equipment for the duration of the display.
It is a legal requirement for DoT to publish notices to close waters. The cost of any publication is the responsibility of the applicant.
Application and approval process
The process for applying to close waters for a fireworks display includes;
- Application to Close Waters (Fireworks) - this form must be completed by licensed fireworks contractor's conducting fireworks displays on or over navigable waters.
- Six (6) week processing period - all applications must be submitted a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the fireworks display taking place.
- Waterway map / chart - all applications must be accompanied by a chart or map clearly showing the firing point(s) and requested exclusion zone. Please refer to the information on this page for more details.
- Safety Management System - the DoT requests that a 'safety management plan' and risk assessment is also supplied relating to the display. If the required exclusion zone is over known vessel storage locations such as mooring control areas or boat harbours the proponent must include how the risk to those vessels will be mitigated.
- Other Approvals - applicants are responsible for obtaining all other approvals required to conduct the fireworks display including but not limited to:
- Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.
- Port Authority.
- Marina Management.
- Local Government Authority.
Application for closed waters (fireworks)
If you would like to conduct a fireworks display on or over navigable waters, you will need to submit an application form to close waters to the Department of Transport, at least 6 weeks prior to the fireworks display.
|Fireworks display: Application to close waters (form)||Kb|
Waterway chart / map requirements
Coordinates of the firing point(s) must be provided in degrees and decimal minutes format (DDM), accurate to 3 decimal places.
e.g. Latitude 31° 57.842'S, Longitude. 115° 51.203'E as a center point of circular exclusion zones.
If the required exclusion zone is a non-circular shape, please include the coordinates at each point, or change of direction.
An example is provided below as a guide as to what is required when submitting a map of the firing point to DoT.