Register an off-road vehicle

Find out how to register an off road vehicle that is not, or cannot, be licensed for on road use. An off-road vehicle is registered and off road plates issued when the vehicle will not be used on a road.

  What is an off-road vehicle

The Control of Vehicles (Off-road Areas) Act 1978 (WA) defines an off-road vehicle as any vehicle which is not: licensed; deemed to be licensed; or the subject of a permit granted under the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Act 2012 (WA).

This includes any vehicle that is not primarily designed for on-road use, such as:

  • All-terrain vehicles.
  • Forklifts and mobile plant.
  • Golf carts.
  • Non-compliant tractors.
  • Non-compliant utility vehicles.
  • Quad bikes.

If you want to license an off-road vehicle for limited on road use please visit the License an off road vehicle page.

  How to register an off-road vehicle

All unlicensed off-road vehicles which are used in the areas covered by the Control of Vehicles (Off-road Areas) Act 1978, other than on private land with the consent of the owner, must be registered with the Department of Transport.

The Vehicle will need to conform to the prescribed safety and noise requirements of the Control of Vehicles (Off-road Areas) Act 1978.

Off-road vehicles are prohibited from crossing or travelling along public roads without a licence issued by the Department of Transport.

You must be aged at least 18 years old to register an off-road vehicle.

Applications for an off-road vehicle registration must be submitted in person at a Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional agent.

You will need to provide:

  • Completed off-road vehicle registration form VL141, which must include:
    • Make of the vehicle.
    • Year of manufacture.
    • Engine number.
    • Primary and secondary colour of the vehicle.
  • Proof of identity (see below for acceptable forms of identification).
  • Payment of required fees and charges.

The off-road vehicle registration form VL141 is available for download below. For more information on proof of identity requirements, please also download the 'Primary & Secondary Proof of Identity' fact sheet.

  Renewal of off-road vehicle registrations

The registration for all vehicles registered under the Control of Vehicles (Off-road Areas) Act 1978 expires on 30 September each year. Renewals are required to be paid by 1 October of each year.

A renewal notice will be sent out to all off road vehicle registration holders, prior to the renewal date.

They must be renewed either in person (at a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent) or by post. Payment cannot be made online or accepted at Australia Post.

The off-road vehicle registration is not valid beyond the date of expiry and, unless renewed, the number plates must be returned within fifteen (15) days.

  Transfer of ownership of off-road vehicles

To transfer the ownership of a registered off-road vehicle, the seller and purchaser must complete and sign a Transfer of Off-Road Vehicle Registration (VL142) form and the purchaser must present the form and payment at any Drivers and Vehicles (DV) centre, regional Department of Transport (DoT) centre or agent. 

Payment cannot be made online or accepted at Australia Post.

  Areas of operation

Areas of operation as per the Control of Vehicles (Off-road Areas) Act 1978 may be obtained by contacting the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries on (08) 6551 8700 or by contacting the relevant Shire.

Licensed road vehicles do not require a separate off-road vehicle registration.

  Off-road vehicle fees

Off-Road vehicle fees

The registration for all vehicles registered under the Control of Vehicles (Off-road Areas) Act 1978 expires on 30th September each year. However, renewals are required to be paid by 1st July each year.
Fee type Fee
Off-road vehicle: New registration fee $45.00
Off-road vehicle: Number plate fee $15.00
Off-road vehicle: Renewal fee $45.00
Off-road vehicle: Transfer fee $15.00

  Driver and Vehicle enquiries (online)

The Driver and Vehicle (licensing) enquiry form is for Western Australian driver and vehicle licensing enquiries only. You can also contact us via email at

For all other matters please visit the feedback, compliments and complaints page.

Please note we will not respond to any feedback which contains sexist, racist or any other anti-social or inappropriate comments.

Page last updated: Thu Sep 28 2023 12:03:23 PM