Bailer or bilge pump
What you need to know about bailer or bilge pumps. All vessels must carry some form of bilge pump or bailing equipment.
- Are required for boats 7 metres and over.
- May be manual or power operation.
- Must be capable of pumping 4 kilolitres per hour.
Important safety information:
- If you fit an electric bilge pump with an automatic switch it must have an indicator to show when the pump is working.
- Check its operation regularly and keep it well maintained.
- The bilge pump should be protected by a strainer to prevent choking of the pump suction. Clean bilges reduce the possibility of blocked pumps.