Get a Recreational Skipper's Ticket

Find out about the Recreational Skipper's Ticket assessment, eligibility requirements and fees.

You must be at least 14 years old to apply for a Recreational Skipper's Ticket (RST).

To get a RST, you will need to pass an assessment by an authorised provider.

To take the RST assessment, you will need to:

  • Contact an authorised provider to apply for an assessment.
  • Provide eyesight, medical and proof of identity documents.
  • Get a letter of consent from a parent or guardian if you are under 18 years of age.

If you pass your assessment, the assessor will give you an interim certificate which is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. 

Your RST card will be sent to you once your details have been received and processed by the Department of Transport.

If you have a prior relevant qualifications, you may be exempt from all or part of the RST assessment. Find out more about RST skills recognition and equivalents.

Documents you need to provide

To take the assessment, you will need to provide:

  • proof of eyesight requirement
  • declaration of medical fitness
  • proof of identity, such as a valid Western Australian driver’s licence
  • letter of consent (if younger than 18 years of age)

Typically, a Western Australian driver's licence is sufficient to meet the identity and eyesight requirements.

If you don’t have a valid driver's licence, you will need to provide a primary and secondary proof of identity document.

You can bring along either the originals or certified copies, but at least one document must have your signature.

RST eyesight and medical fitness requirements

Eyesight requirements

The minimum vision standard required to be in charge of a recreational powerboat is the same as to operate a motor vehicle in Western Australia: 6/12 in one eye, with corrective lenses.

You can show the assessor a valid Western Australian driver's licence as proof of meeting the eyesight requirement.

If you don't have a driver's licence, submit an eyesight assessment form (available below), which is to be completed by an optometrist, medical practitioner or registered nurse.

Medical fitness requirements

Certain medical conditions could affect your ability to operate a recreational vessel safely.

You must provide a medical declaration stating that you do not have any of the following:

  • epilepsy, fits, giddiness, fainting or seizures
  • heart disease
  • high or low blood pressure
  • arthritis
  • type 1 diabetes
  • any physical or mental disability.

If you have any of these medical conditions, you must submit a declaration of medical fitness (available below) completed by a medical practitioner.

RST training

You can choose to study for the RST assessment:

  • on your own using the RST Workbook and quizzes and learn to drive a vessel with a supervising skipper; or
  • with a training provider.

Your supervising skipper can be a parent, relative or friend but they must hold a RST and be at least 18 years of age.

If you choose to use a training provider, check they offer:

  • a planned training program
  • structured lessons where the instructor will show you what to do, explain what is required in a way you easily understand and then let you practice at your own pace
  • feedback on how you are doing
  • tips for correcting mistakes
  • a quick review of your progress at the beginning and end of each task.

The Department of Transport does not regulate professional training providers for the RST. 

Many of the authorised RST Assessors also provide a training service. 

RST assessment

The RST assessment is designed to test your skills and knowledge of boating safety.

The assessment consists of theory and practical sections. 

You must pass the theory component before you can proceed to the practical.

You can choose to do both assessments on the same day, or on different days, or have each assessed by a different provider.

Theory section

This section of the assessment consists of 40 multiple-choice questions. You will need 34 correct answers to pass.

The questions will check your understanding of:

  • recreational boating rules and regulations
  • international marine collision rules
  • buoys and other navigation aids
  • use of navigation lights on boats
  • maintenance of a vessel's structure, motor and equipment
  • required safety equipment
  • trip planning and responsibilities to passengers
  • distress signals and responding to emergencies.

This section should take about 1 hour to complete.

Practical section

Once you have passed the theoretical section, you can move on to the practical section of the assessment, where you have to undertake a short boating trip.

The aim of the practical assessment is for you to demonstrate skills that can be applied to any trip, such as trip preparation and vessel manoeuvring, plus showing that you can cope with unexpected events.

You will need to demonstrate at least 56 out of the 62 criteria (fewer than 6 wrong) to pass the practical assessment.

During the voyage, you will be required to complete 11 tasks:

  1. Operate a vessel within the rules and regulations
  2. Check the condition of a vessel's anchors, lines and equipment
  3. Conduct a safety briefing for those on board
  4. Start the motor safely
  5. Log a voyage plan
  6. Safely departing a berth
  7. Conduct a simulated man overboard operation
  8. Steer a steady course with the aid of a transit
  9. Perform a controlled stop
  10. Return to a berth and secure the vessel
  11. Log off.

The practical assessment will vary depending on the type of boat used, the location and any other events happening on the water.

It should take about 1 hour to complete. You will be required to act as the skipper the vessel during the trip.

  RST applicants under 18

If you are under 18, you must have a letter of consent signed by your parent or guardian to take the assessment. The form can be downloaded below.

If your surname differs from your parent or guardian's, you must also produce primary identification to prove your relationship to them.


You will need to pay for the authorised RST training provider for the assessment.

The Department of Transport does not regulate these fees. Contact the provider to find out their fees.

You can take the assessment as many times as you need to pass, but you may be required to pay a fee for each attempt.

The RST is valid for your lifetime and there are no recurring or renewal fees or charges. 

There is a fee for re-issue of a lost/destroyed RST card.

Recreational Skipper's Ticket fees

Fee type Fee
Recording fee (new) Recreational Skippers Ticket application $32.55
Replacement of Recreational Skippers Ticket card $24.60
Page last updated: Mon Jan 29 2024 1:56:04 PM