Find out about boating speed limits in WA.
Unless posted otherwise, an 8-knot speed limit applies at all times when your vessel is:
- Going through an arch of a bridge (unless specifically permitted for water skiing)
- In or through mooring areas
- In any water having a depth of less than 3 metres unless gazetted otherwise
- Within 15 metres of a vessel underway
- Within 50 metres of:
- A moored vessel
- A person in the water
- A jetty or wharf
- A river bank or low water mark.
Some other areas may also have posted speed limits, which must be strictly obeyed.
You must not travel at a speed or in a way that causes nuisance or damage to any:
- vessel, whether moored or not
- river bank or property.
Our boating guides provide information on speed limits and other marine safety information, including boating hazards, personal watercraft, water ski and closed water areas.
Deckee is a free boating app that provides safety, weather and location-based information, including speed limits and activity zones.
Find out more about the Deckee app.