Modify a light vehicle: Minor (no inspection)
Find out how to obtain any necessary modification approvals.
Minor: Modifications that do not require approval or inspection
Many minor vehicle modifications can be carried out without specific approval, as long as they comply with the applicable legislation.
Modifications that do not require approval include:
- Additional lighting.
- Air conditioners.
- Air shock absorbers.
- Alarm systems.
- Badge bars.
- Body markings and speed striping.
- Change of vehicle colour (see Note below).
- Engine change (like for like only - see Note below).
- Mesh stone shields for wind screens and lamps.
- Mud spats and pebble guards.
- Optional manufacturer seating.
- Radio and stereo systems.
- Rear-view mirrors.
- Roof racks.
- Seat belts for pre-1969 cars (not full harness types).
- Single tone air horns.
- Stabiliser bars.
- Sun visors.
- Torque rods and traction bars (not semi-tramp types).
- Tyre size and aspect ratio.
- Venetian blinds and other internal screening systems are allowed, subject to a clear view to the rear.
Note: If you change the colour of your vehicle or you replace the engine in your vehicle, you must complete and submit a Change of Vehicle Details (E36) form.
A modification permit is not required when changing the colour of your vehicle, or when changing the engine if the new engine is a like-for-like replacement.
If the engine change is not a like-for-like replacement and the engine configuration has changed (i.e. different number of cylinders, power rating, engine make/model/type, engine capacity or fuel type), then a vehicle modification approval must be sought from the Department of Transport. For more information, read about: Modify a light vehicle: Simple (inspection) .
You can submit your completed E36 form in person to your nearest Driver and Vehicle Services centre, regional DoT office or agent, or by posting it to:
Department of Transport
Customer Contact Centre
GPO Box R1290
Perth WA 6844.
Applicable legislation and related documents (modify a light vehicle)
Whatever the reason for a modification, the vehicle in question must conform to the following regulations and rules.
- Australian Design Rules.
- Road Traffic (Vehicles) Act 2012.
- Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014.
Many minor vehicle modifications can be carried out without our approval. However, they must still comply with the relevant regulations.