Modify a vehicle for special needs
Modifying vehicles for people with special needs
There are many ways to make transportation easier for people with disabilities. We will assist people with disabilities who wish to:
- Design and construct apparatus which constitutes an accessory on a licensed vehicle.
- Manufacture custom vehicles for people with disabilities.
- Modify a currently licensed vehicle.
- Modify an approved accessory to suit a licensed vehicle.
Standard production vehicles can be specially modified to enable people with disabilities to drive the vehicle safely.
Furthermore, a vehicle sometimes needs to be modified to enable people with disabilities to be passengers. Modifications to a vehicle can therefore range from the simple addition of a steering wheel spinner knob to major modifications to the vehicle body structure, such as extending the body length and altering the roof of the vehicle.
Wheelchair carriers fitted to tow bars
There are a number of rules and guidelines regarding wheelchair carriers that are fitted to tow bars. You'll find information on the subject in 'Wheelchair carriers fitted to tow bars', which includes guidance on a range of legal requirements and safety topics, including:
- Carrier lifting systems.
- Fitting an information plate to your carrier.
- Making your carrier easy to see for vehicles behind you.
|CI-115B: Wheelchair carriers fitted to tow bars (Circular to Industry)||Kb|
Vehicle modifications for persons with disabilities (when the vehicle requires inspection)
The following modifications do not need written pre-approval from the DoT and can be assessed by an Authorised Inspection Station (AIS) vehicle examiner at time of the inspection. A Modification Permit will be required to be issued by the AIS approving your particular modification.
- Basic steering wheel spinner knob without any controls.
- Hand controls for the brake and accelerator only (as long as the original pedals are in place, can be used and does not impede the operation of a knee airbag (if fitted).
- Right to left accelerator pedal modification (as long as the original pedal is left on the right or has the ability to have a pedal on the right).
Any vehicle modifications not listed above will require written application to DoT Vehicle Safety and Standards.
About modification permits
Before making any modifications, you must check whether Department of Transport (DoT) approval is required.
If you modify your vehicle without the necessary approval, you may be issued with a defect notice (yellow sticker) and may void your vehicle insurance.
- You must pre-pay for the modification permit before you present the vehicle for inspection.
- You must present your receipt at the time of the inspection.
- You must present all documents, engineering certification and approval letter at the time of the inspection.
If your vehicle passes an inspection and you have paid the required fee, a modification permit will be issued by the AIS approving the modification. It is a requirement that you keep these documents inside the vehicle, with copies in a safe place.Pre-pay a vehicle modification permit fee