Modify a vehicle for special needs
Modifying vehicles for people with special needs
There are many ways to make transportation easier for people with disabilities. We will assist people with disabilities who wish to:
- Design and construct apparatus which constitutes an accessory on a licensed vehicle.
- Manufacture custom vehicles for people with disabilities.
- Modify a currently licensed vehicle.
- Modify an approved accessory to suit a licensed vehicle.
Standard production vehicles can be specially modified to enable people with disabilities to drive the vehicle safely.
Furthermore, a vehicle sometimes needs to be modified to enable people with disabilities to be passengers. Modifications to a vehicle can therefore range from the simple addition of a steering wheel spinner knob to major modifications to the vehicle body structure, such as extending the body length and altering the roof of the vehicle.
You'll find more information about making vehicle modifications in our 'Vehicles for people with disabilities (imported vehicles, modified vehicles, special purpose vehicles, equipment and accessories)' publication below, including:
- Deciding if modifications are necessary.
- Relevant Australian Standards.
- Selling a modified vehicle.
- The modification process.
- Which modifications require approval.
|Vehicles for people with disabilities (Booklet)||Kb|
Wheelchair carriers fitted to tow bars
There are a number of rules and guidelines regarding wheelchair carriers that are fitted to tow bars. You'll find information on the subject in 'Wheelchair carriers fitted to tow bars', which includes guidance on a range of legal requirements and safety topics, including:
- Carrier lifting systems.
- Fitting an information plate to your carrier.
- Making your carrier easy to see for vehicles behind you.
|CI-115B: Wheelchair carriers fitted to tow bars (Circular to Industry)||Kb|