COVID-19: Updates on Department of Transport services

Transfer a vehicle

Find out what you need to do to transfer vehicle ownership in Western Australia.

  Restrictions on transfers

There are a number of circumstances that may affect the transfer process and onus is on the seller and buyer to ensure that the vehicle licence is free on any encumbrances.  Initially, check the vehicle’s licence status online – Vehicle rego check.

Other specific instances that can affect a transfer include:

  • The Seller may have unpaid fines and infringements – Contact the Fines Enforcement Registry on 1300 650 235 for information.
  • If a Court Order has been placed on the vehicle then a transfer cannot take place until the court order is lifted and evidence presented at a Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional agent.
  • On-Demand vehicles are subject to the Transport (Road Passenger Services) Act 2018 and Transport (Road Passenger Services) Regulations 2020.  Please refer to our section on passenger transport vehicles or contact On-Demand Transport on 1300 660 147 for further information about transferring the vehicle.

  Legal entities

A vehicle licence may only be granted or transferred to a person or entity that has the ability to be held accountable at law for that vehicle and any offences relating to the use of that vehicle.

A vehicle licence holder must be a legal entity as defined below:

  • An individual person aged 18 years or older for a heavy vehicle or 16 years or older for any other vehicle.
  • A corporate body.
  • An incorporated body.
  • Any other organisation that is recognised as being a legal entity.
  • The Public Trustee.

Note: Trusts are treated as taxpayer entities however they are not a separate legal entity.

  Fees and charges associated with a change of ownership

Vehicle licence duty is payable on the grant or transferring of a vehicle licence. It is charged at a percentage rate of the dutiable value of a vehicle. The percentage rate is determined by the Office of State Revenue. Use our online calculator to find out how much vehicle licence duty is payable.

Where a vehicle licence is transferred to a new owner it may be necessary to change the insurance class of a vehicle. Examples include vehicles licensed with a concession that attract a reduced Motor Injury Insurance (MII) rate i.e. veteran/vintage vehicles, farm vehicles, ambulances or passenger transport vehicles (PTV).

Some new owners and vehicles may be exempt from some or all these charges. Please refer to Concessions for more information.

Vehicle licence duty payable objection

If you consider the dutiable value of the vehicle determined by us too high, you can lodge an objection against the dutiable value with the Commissioner of State Revenue. For more information, or to make an objection, visit the Department of Finance website.

Opens in a new window Department of Finance

  Vehicles with a concession

If you buy a vehicle that is licensed with a concession and that concession does not apply to you, you must tell us. A vehicle licence may be invalid if the correct licence fees are not paid. To find out the licence duty payable use our online calculator.

Note: If you disagree with the duty fee payable you can lodge an objection (see below).

LBU_FEES_FAQ_PaymentsFeesConcess.pdf icon Payments, fees and concessions (Frequently Asked Questions) Kb

  Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR)

Man driving a car
Man driving a car

To find out if your vehicle is listed on the Written-Off Vehicle Register or if the car you are buying has money owing on it, check out PPSR online.

To make a PPSR enquiry, you will only need to provide the chassis or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Note that there will be no provision for searching or registering an interest by plate or engine number on the PPS Register.

  • PPSR online.
  • Telephone PPSR on 1300 007 777.
  • PPSR online is administered by the Registrar of Personal Property Securities.

PPSR can tell you whether a vehicle, boat or farm machinery has money owing on it (encumbered) before making a purchase. This is important because a third party (e.g. a bank or finance company) may be able to repossess the vehicle you have purchased due to an encumbrance.

A search of the PPS Register will also create a request for vehicle information from the National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System - NEVDIS. Depending on the information NEVDIS holds, this will include written-off and stolen status information (if applicable) in addition to make, model, colour and other information.

External Link Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR)

  Competing claims for ownership of a vehicle

General information relating to disputed ownership matters involving the grant and transfer of vehicle licences in accordance with the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Act 2012 may be found in the fact sheet below.

LBU_P_VL_CompletingClaims.pdf icon Competing claims of ownership of a vehicle (Fact sheet) Kb

  Joint owners and nominated licence holders

In most cases, the owner (purchaser) will be the 'responsible person' for the vehicle. However, when there is more than one owner, all owners of the vehicle will need to nominate a single 'responsible person'.

The following rules apply to all jointly-owned vehicles:

  • A vehicle cannot be licensed in the name of more than one person at a time.
  • Where a vehicle is jointly-owned all owners must complete and sign a Proof of Identity Nominated Owner/Vehicle Licence Holder VL186 form to nominate an eligible individual to be the 'responsible person'.
  • Where there is no change in the joint owners but the nominated owner/licence holder is to change, a Change in Nominated/Joint Owners form E4 is to be completed by all owners. Transfer and vehicle licence duty will not be payable.
  • Where a joint owner or 'responsible person' is to be removed a Change in Nominated/Joint Owners (Form E4) is to be completed by all owners. Transfer and vehicle licence duty will be payable.
  • The nominated owner will be recorded by the Department as the person responsible for the vehicle licence.
  • An individual may not be nominated as the 'responsible person' for a vehicle unless that individual is also a joint owner of the vehicle.
  • The nominated owner must be made aware of their obligations as the 'responsible person'.

Business partnerships and vehicle licences

In the case of a business partnership, when the owners of the vehicle have nominated a 'responsible person', only that person's name will appear on the licence.

If the business is operating under a trading name (and is not incorporated and does not have an ACN) the trading name cannot be recorded on the licence.

Changing or removing the nominated owner/licence holder

If you wish to cancel the nomination of the responsible person and change it to another joint owner, all joint owners of the vehicle must complete and sign a Change in Nominated/Joint Owners (E4) form.

If you cancel the nomination and the new owner/licence holder is not currently also a joint owner, or the previous 'responsible person' is no longer a joint owner, the vehicle must be transferred. Payment of transfer and vehicle licence duty is required.

LBU_F_E4_NomJointOwner.pdf icon Change in nominated joint owners (Form E4) Kb
LBU_F_VL_186_ProofIdentity.pdf icon Proof of identity: Nominated owner - vehicle licence holder (Form VL186) Kb

  Transfer between spouses

There is provision for an exemption from vehicle licence duty, upon the transfer of a vehicle licence between spouses or de facto partners of at least two years.

The Application for Duty Exemption (Form FDA45) must be presented:

  • Where the vehicle licence has not been transferred – together with the Notification of Change of Ownership Vehicle Licence Transfer (MR9) form at your nearest Driver and Vehicle Services centre, regional Department of Transport office or participating DVS agent; or
  • it may be posted to: Driver and Vehicle Services, GPO Box R1290 Perth WA 6844.
  • Where the vehicle licence duty has been paid - If you are applying for a refund of vehicle licence duty, send the completed form to: RevenueWA, GPO Box T1600, PERTH WA 6845.

The form is available through the Department of Finance website.

Eligibility for an exemption from the payment of vehicle licence duty is only available in the following circumstances:

  • The transfer of the vehicle licence must be between persons who are married to each other or who are de facto partners of at least two years.
  • Neither person can hold the vehicle as a trustee of a trust.
  • The transfer of the licence must be for a vehicle used for private purposes.
  • The vehicle cannot be a heavy vehicle and the tare weight of the vehicle is not greater than 4,500 kg.
  • The vehicle must not be used for carrying passengers or goods for hire or reward or in any business, trade or profession.

Please note:

Although the transferee will be exempt from paying the vehicle licence duty, a transfer fee is still payable.

The transfer of the vehicle licence cannot be processed unless the forms have been signed by both the current licence holder (transferor) and the proposed licence holder (transferee).

External Link Department of Finance - Government of Western Australia
LBU_F_VL_MR9_VehicleTransfer.pdf icon Notification of change of ownership vehicle licence transfer (Form MR9) Kb

  Vehicles with optional or personalised plates fitted

If the vehicle is fitted with optional plates (other than personalised plates) and the plates are being sold with the vehicle, the purchaser and seller must each complete and submit a Transfer of rights to display special plates (Form VL176). The form is available below.

The purchaser will then have to pay the applicable plate transfer fee (see schedule of licensing fees above).

Note to purchaser:

If you do not want to keep the plates, return them to a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre to receive a set of ordinary state plates. Please note a fee applies.

Note to seller:

If you do not intend to sell the plates, return them to a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre for retention and receive a set of ordinary state plates for the vehicle you are selling. Please note a fee applies.

LBU_F_VL_176_TransferSpecialPlates.pdf icon Transfer of right to display optional plates (Form VL176) Kb

  Vehicle licence duty calculator (2020/2021)

Driver and Vehicle Services is required by the Duties Act 2008 to collect vehicle licence duty when a vehicle is licensed or its licence is transferred.


Any caravan defined as 'a trailer (including a camper trailer) permanently fitted for human habitation in the course of a journey' is exempt from the payment of Vehicle Licence Duty only. Transfer Fees are still charged as they are a fee that represents a cost recovery for the administration of the licensing system when a change of ownership is processed.

Fees applicable as of 1 July 2020

To display the total vehicle licence duty payable for any vehicle:

  • 1 Select classification of vehicle (light or heavy vehicle, and used/new).
  • 2 Enter the "Dutiable value" of the vehicle in the field below.
  • 3 Click on the "Calculate Fee Payable" button.
Please select type of vehicle

Light vehicles: GVM less than or equal to 4.5 tonnes

Heavy vehicles: GVM greater than 4.5 tonnes

Please enter a non-zero amount for Dutiable value


GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass)

  • The tare/mass weight of a vehicle plus load.
  • Determined by the vehicle manufacturer as the maximum weight that the vehicle can carry.
  • A figure set by the manufacturer and is stamped on the compliance plate of the vehicle (sometimes referred to as GVW or Gross Vehicle Weight).


Page last updated: Thu Jan 21 2021 9:44:53 AM