COVID-19: Updates on Department of Transport services

Write-off a vehicle

Find out about the Written-Off Vehicle Register and how to re-license a repairable written-off vehicle.

  Notification of a written-off vehicle

An assessor 1 must notify the national Written-Off Vehicle Register (WOVR) of all written-off vehicles if:

  • It is a motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer or semi trailer.
  • In the case of a motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, the vehicle's MRC 2 does not exceed 4,500 kg.
  • It was manufactured within the period of 15 years ending on the day on which the damage occurred (if known) or otherwise on the day on which the vehicle was written off.

1 An assessor may be an insurance company, insurance assessor or motor vehicle dealer (including wreckers, hire car companies and auction houses).

2 MRC means Mass Rating Charging and is the vehicles GVM, ATM or equivalent.

Western Australia has adopted Australia's national framework for the management of Written-Off Vehicles (WOVs). That is any vehicle that has been determined to be a total loss by an assessor as a result of:

  • Damage induced by a collision, fire, water inundation, other weather event, malicious action, or
  • Dismantling or stripping.

These vehicles must be classified to be either a Statutory Write-Off (SWO) or Repairable Write-Off (RWO).

A SWO may only be sold subject to a statutory restriction that it may only be used for parts or scrap metal.

A RWO may be repaired and re-registered subject to the vehicle passing specific safety and vehicle identification inspections.

Labelling of statutory written-off vehicles

To assist in the identification of SWO vehicles, a written-off label (see sample below) will be attached securely to the vehicle in a conspicuous position, close to the vehicle identifier.

The ideal place for a notice on a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, will usually be the driver's front door or the windscreen. It is an offence to remove or deface (damage) a written-off vehicle label affixed to a SWO vehicle.

Warning label (sample)

Statutory written-off vehicle warning label (sample)

Defacing vehicle identifier

In addition to attaching a written-off label, a SWO vehicle must also have the vehicle's identifier defaced. This serves as an additional warning to consumers that the vehicle is a SWO and may not be re-licensed (re-registered).

  Repairable written-off vehicles

A vehicle is classed as a repairable write-off when:

  • A water damaged vehicle that is not a statutory write off.
  • The vehicle has been assessed as uneconomical to repair by the assessor.
  • The vehicle's VIN is recorded as a repairable write-off, or
  • The vehicle may be repaired but is subject to passing a vehicle safety and vehicle identity check before it can be licensed in Western Australia.

Find out how to get a repairable written-off vehicle re-licensed.

  Statutory written-off vehicles (never to be re-licensed)

Statutory written-off vehicles Image
Statutory written-off vehicles Image

Statutory write-offs (SWO) are damaged vehicles that are deemed unsuitable for repair, as the damage is too severe. These vehicles are known targets of car thieves because they can be purchased at low cost and used for re-birthing.

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of these vehicles will be recorded as a SWO.

Some key aspects of these notifiable vehicles are:

  • A notifiable vehicle is a statutory write-off if.
    • It has been stripped of all or most of its interior and exterior body parts, panels and other components.
    • It is burnt to such an extent that it is fit only for wrecking or scrap.
    • The internal cabin of a vehicle is inundated with any water (fresh, brackish or salt) above the door sill level such that the internal cabin water level rises above the level of the inner door sill for any period.
  • A notifiable motorcycle, trailer or semi trailer is a statutory write-off if it has sustained.
    • Impact damage, (except scratching) to its suspension.
    • Structural damage to its frame in two (2) or more places.
  • A notifiable motorcycle is a statutory write-off if it has been fully immersed in salt water for any period, or fully immersed in fresh water for more than 48 hours.

Statutory written-off vehicles may never be licensed in Western Australia.

A vehicle determined to be a total loss must be assessed against the criteria set out in the Technical Guide developed by the National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council (Car Safe) to determine its classification.

The Technical Guide and other information on the development of the criteria and related in-field testing can be found on the publications page of the Car Safe website below.

There are eleven (11) categories of potential damage that each vehicle must be assessed against, comprising:

  • Three forms of specific Event Related Criteria (fire, water and vehicle stripping). If the vehicle meets any of these criteria, it must be classified as a SWO, and
  • Eight separate areas of potential structural damage to be reviewed. If the vehicle is assessed to have sustained damage to any three of the identified structural areas and/or supplementary restraints it must be deemed to be a SWO, e.g. two structural areas and supplementary restraints or three structural areas. Each different and separate area of damage to the pillars, floor pan, longitudinal rails or independent suspension mounts must all be counted separately towards meeting the Three count threshold for SWO status.

The criteria have been developed to err on the side of caution in terms of safety to ensure that vehicles that have sustained significant damage are consistently identified and appropriately classified as suitable only for dismantling or processing as scrap.

Opens in a new window Car Safe

  Written-Off Vehicle Register (WOVR)

The national Written-Off Vehicle Register (WOVR) has been developed to reduce the problem of re-birthing stolen vehicles.

The register records the written-off vehicle's identifiers and specific information about the damage to the vehicle. The WOVR records whether the vehicle is a:

  • Statutory write-off: These vehicles cannot be re-licensed.
  • Repairable write-off: These vehicles may be repaired, inspected and then re-licensed.

Once a vehicle has been notified as a write-off, the licence will be cancelled and the number plates must be returned within 28 days.

For all enquiries about written-off vehicles call the Department of Transport on 13 11 56.

LBU_F_VL_WOVR1_writtenoff.pdf icon Written-off vehicle notification (Form WOVR1) Kb

  Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR)

Man driving a car
Man driving a car

To find out if your vehicle is listed on the Written-Off Vehicle Register or if the car you are buying has money owing on it, check out PPSR online.

To make a PPSR enquiry, you will only need to provide the chassis or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Note that there will be no provision for searching or registering an interest by plate or engine number on the PPS Register.

  • PPSR online.
  • Telephone PPSR on 1300 007 777.
  • PPSR online is administered by the Registrar of Personal Property Securities.

PPSR can tell you whether a vehicle, boat or farm machinery has money owing on it (encumbered) before making a purchase. This is important because a third party (e.g. a bank or finance company) may be able to repossess the vehicle you have purchased due to an encumbrance.

A search of the PPS Register will also create a request for vehicle information from the National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System - NEVDIS. Depending on the information NEVDIS holds, this will include written-off and stolen status information (if applicable) in addition to make, model, colour and other information.

External Link Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR)

  Reporting a crash

Timely reporting of hazards from the community is vital to maintaining our road network and associated infrastructure.

The driver of a vehicle and/or rider of a bicycle must report a traffic crash when the incident occurred on a road or any place commonly used by the public, e.g. car parks and the:

  • Incident resulted in bodily harm to any person.
  • Total value of property damaged to all involved parties exceeds $3,000.
  • Owner or representative of any damaged property is not present.

Reporting a hazard

For traffic lights and hazards on roads please inform Main Roads WA using their online form or calling 138 138.

You may also find it helpful to use a street map or a Internet map to identify the street name and location of the hazard.

External Link Crash Report: online crash reporting facility

  Vehicle inspection related links


Page last updated: Mon Feb 26 2018 12:58:25 PM