License an imported vehicle

Find out how to get a licence for an imported vehicle based in Western Australia.

  Overview: License an imported vehicle

If you bring a vehicle from overseas you must apply for a Western Australian vehicle licence immediately.

Please refer to the Importing a car from overseas page for more information on importing a vehicle, including obtaining import approvals.

Vehicles built for use in Australia must comply with standards known as the Australian Design Rules (ADRs). The ADRs that apply vary according to the date of manufacture and the category of the vehicle in question. The Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002 provides a partial exemption from most of the ADR requirements for vehicles that have been personally imported. Exemption applies for certain ADR related items.

More detailed information on licensing left hand drive vehicles can be found in the bulletin IB106 below.

You should also refer to the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development's; Vehicle Standards bulletin, Steering conversions for left hand drive vehicles (VSB4). It describes various methods of steering conversion and the minimum standards of workmanship expected.

LBU_VS_IB_106.pdf icon IB-106D: Special provisions for light left hand drive vehicles (Information Bulletin) Kb
External Link Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities: Vehicle Standards Bulletins (VSB)

  Step 1: Get a temporary moving permit

You will need a temporary movement permit to move your unlicensed vehicle on Western Australian roads to the inspection location.

  Step 2: Get the vehicle inspected: Imported vehicle

Before you can submit a new vehicle licence application, you will need to get the vehicle inspected for roadworthiness.

Please go to Get a vehicle inspected for more information on new vehicle inspections.


  • If you vehicle is unlicensed (unregistered) you will need a Temporary Movement Permit to drive the vehicle to the inspection location.
  • Personal imports must be inspected by the Department of Transport. Please contact Vehicle Operations on 1300 776 065.
  • Personal imports cannot be inspected at an Approved Inspection Station.

  Step 3: Provide a copy of the overseas licence or registration: Imported vehicle

If the overseas vehicle was previously licensed to you, then you will need to produce proof the vehicle was licensed in your name (such as the vehicle licence documents) or vehicle duty will be charged on the value of the vehicle at the time of licensing in Western Australia.

  Step 4: Provide proof of being based in WA: Imported vehicle

You will be required to provide proof that the vehicle will be garaged primarily in Western Australia. Vehicles can only be licensed in WA if they are primarily kept in this state.

  Step 5: Provide proof of identity

Only one person can be nominated as the licence holder. Form VL186 is to be used where an owner is required to be nominated as the licence holder.

This form must accompany the vehicle license application form in order to verify the applicant's personal details.

Please go to Proof of identity for more information.

LBU_F_VL_186_ProofIdentity.pdf icon Proof of identity: Nominated owner - vehicle licence holder (Form VL186) Kb

  Step 6: Submit the application in person (Form VL17)

Applications for a new vehicle licence must be submitted in person at a Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional agent.

You will need to provide:

  • Completed application to licence a vehicle Form VL17.
  • Certificate of inspection completed by the vehicle examiner.
  • Proof of being garaged in WA.
  • Completed Proof of Identity Nominated Owner/Vehicle Licence holder.
  • Proof of vehicle ownership Form VL186.
  • Evidence of overseas licence or registration.
  • Weighbridge certificate (if required).
  • Import Approval Documents.
LBU_F_VL_17_LicenceVehicle.pdf icon Application to license a vehicle (Form VL17) Kb
LBU_F_VL_186_ProofIdentity.pdf icon Proof of identity: Nominated owner - vehicle licence holder (Form VL186) Kb
Opens in a new window Department of Industry, Innovation and Science: Public weighbridge list


Page last updated: Mon Jul 1 2019 12:31:54 PM