Navigational warnings are issued by the Department of Transport to advise mariners of Aids to Navigation outages and marine hazards that represent an immediate risk to mariners.
These warnings are broadcast on VHF and HF radio networks throughout the state by the WA Water Police on the following networks.
- Perth Metro VHF: Warnings and weather are scheduled for broadcast at 4:18 am, 1:18 pm and 7:18 pm (Channel 67).
- Coast Radio Perth HF: Warnings only are scheduled for broadcasts at 2:25 pm and 6:25 pm each day (Channel 8176).
- Coast Radio Hedland HF: Warnings only are scheduled for broadcasts at 12:25 pm and 4:25 pm each day (Channel 8176).
Cancelled, withdrawn or expired navigational warnings are regularly removed.
For Temporary Notice to Mariners relating to events, works, activities and operations that may affect navigational safety please refer to Temporary Notices To Mariners (TNTMs).
Before undertaking any boating activities, mariners are advised to check appropriate TNTMs, navigational warnings, chart corrections and current weather information.
Please subscribe to our MarineSafetyWA Twitter feed to receive regular updates on navigational warnings and Temporary Notices To Mariners (TNTM).
03/01/2018: Reported submerged hazard, entrance to the Serpentine River
A submerged hazard has been reported in the channel in the approaches to the Serpentine River adjacent to the third navigational aid west of the entrance.
- Reported location: 32° 34.494'S, 115° 45.579'E (approximate).
- Chart: Department of Transport Chart WA 848 - Peel Inlet and Harvey Estuary.
20/12/2017: Meelup beach shark monitoring buoy unlit
The Meelup beach shark monitoring buoy located approximately 400 metres offshore from Meelup beach is unlit. This buoy will be restored to normal as soon as is practical.
Location: 33° 34.350'S, 115° 05.586'E
- Chart: Department of Transport Chart WA966 - Cape Naturaliste
07/11/2018: Waroona Dam, Lake Navarino, rock hazard
With dam water levels rising recently, some rocks that were visible are now submerged and present a hazard to boaters navigating in the 5 knot restricted area in the South East corner of the Waroona Dam.
Boaters are advised to avoid this area.
- Location: 5 knot restricted area in the South East corner of Waroona Dam, in the waters adjacent to the Camp Ground.