Apply for a taxi or bus driver's licence
Types of driver licences
Before you can legally operate and drive fare paying passengers for hire and reward, you must have the correct driver's licence. The two driver's licence extensions are:
- F (charter) extension: A charter (bus) driver's or charter vehicle licence which allows a driver to carry passengers for hire or reward.
- T (taxi) extension: A taxi driver's licence which allows a driver to carry passengers for hire or reward.
You are not required to obtain an F (charter) extension if you already hold a T (taxi) extension.
Both are an extension of your current driver's licence. You must also have the appropriate licence for the class of vehicle you will be driving.
Hire and reward extension (bus/taxi) fees
|F (bus) extension application||$112.00|
|T (taxi) extension application||$112.00|
|Vehicle type||Driver's licence extension - Vehicle type F||Driver's licence extension - Vehicle type T|
|Regular Passenger Transport||Yes||Yes|
To find out about licensing Charter vehicles, Regular Passenger Transport vehicles and taxis, please refer to On-demand transport licensing / insurance page.
Circumstances where a driver's licence extension is not required
A driver's licence extension (F or T) is not required when:
- The payment you receive for carrying passengers does not exceed the operating costs per kilometre of the vehicle.
- The service is purely voluntary.
- You are carrying passengers during work hours as an incidental part of your general employment and the vehicle seats 12 persons or less (including the driver).
- You are a member of the police force.
- You are driving in the course of providing a child care service under the Child Care Services Act 2007 (WA).
Eligibility requirements to apply for a driver's licence extension
Minimum eligibility requirements for both driver's licence extensions F (charter) and T (taxi) are provided below.
|Minimum eligibility requirement
|Has reached the age of 20 years||Yes||Yes|
|Has held a driver's licence for a period of three (3) years||Yes||Yes|
|Is not a provisional driver||Yes||Yes|
|Provides two (2) referees at the time of application||Yes||Yes|
|Provides a National Police Certificate not older than three (3) months||Yes||Yes|
|Undergo a medical assessment||Yes||Yes|
How to apply for a driver's licence extension
To apply for the appropriate licence extension, you will need to complete an application form.
Visit the Become a bus, taxi or charter vehicle driver (F or T extension) for further information.
|F and T extension application (Form DL1)||Kb|
Information for drivers, taxi owners and operators
The WA taxi industry is administered by the Department of Transport, which regulates the number of taxi licence plates and sets the standards for taxi vehicles and the taxi driver code of conduct.
F (bus) extensions, when already holding a T (taxi) extension
You are not required to obtain an F (bus) extension if you already hold a T (taxi) extension.
- An F (bus) extension is a bus driver's or small charter vehicle licence which allows a driver to carry passengers for hire or reward.
- It is an extension of your existing driver's licence. You must also have the relevant licence for the class of vehicle you will be driving.
For more information, please refer to Schedule 2 - Classes of authorisation to drive of the Road Traffic (Authorisation to Drive) Regulations 2014.
|Application for a Taxi Driver Identification Card (Form ODT 31)||Kb|
|Application to replace regional Taxi Driver Identification Card||Kb|
|Department of Justice: Road Traffic (Authorisation to Drive) Regulations 2014|
Passenger transport vehicle fees and charges (2019/2020)
Passenger transport vehicle fees
|Passenger transport vehicle annual authorisation||$113.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle monthly authorisation (1 month)||$21.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle quarterly authorisation (3 months)||$40.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle bi-annual authorisation (6 monthly)||$67.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle application||$15.00 |
|Issue of on-demand transport plates||$29.00 |
|Re-issue of on-demand transport plates||$19.00 |
|Re-make of on-demand transport plates||$34.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle variation of authorisation conditions application||$20.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle authorisation category of service change application||$36.00 |
 Applicable from Tuesday 2 July 2019.
Fees relating to hire and reward driver licence extensions (F/T) will not change until 2020 with the transition to on-demand driver authorisations. Visit Changes for passenger transport drivers for further details.
Driver's licence check (online)
Please use this handy feature to check whether your driver's licence is current.Driver's licence check (online)
- The information provided on the status of your driver's licence is only current as at the time and date of the response. Even though our records may indicate that your driver's licence is valid, there may be outstanding or current sanctions against your licence applied by the Department of the Attorney General which may render your licence invalid.
- In addition to this enquiry you should also perform a further verification on the Department of the Attorney General's website: Search licence suspensions (unpaid fines) online (see link below).
A Learner's Permit is not a valid licence and its details will not be displayed.
|Attorney General's Department: Online licence suspension check|
Demerit point check (online)
The online demerit point enquiry tool allows a driver who holds a WA driverís licence or learnerís permit to check details of infringements issued, demerit point penalties and demerit point expiry dates and demerit points notices issued for service.
This enquiry is for Western Australian licences only.
If you require a copy of demerit point notices served on you for your insurance company, you will need to attend a DVS centre with primary and secondary identification and complete a Request for a certified copy of excessive demerit points notice (E16) form. A fee is payable.
Certified copy of excessive demerit points notice fee
|Certified copy of Excessive Demerit Points Notice (EDPN) fee||$19.75|
Visit the Western Australia Police Force website for more information about obtaining a record of traffic infringement notices issued to you, for viewing an image of a driver for a traffic infringement notice, or for paying a fine.
Visit the WA Department of Justice eCourts portal to find out if your driverís licence has been suspended for the non-payment of a fine or infringement.
|Western Australian Police: Infringements and notices requesting information|
|WA Department of Justice eCourts portal|