Apply for a taxi or bus driver's licence
Types of driver licences
Before you can legally operate and drive fare paying passengers for hire and reward, you must have the correct driver's licence. The two driver's licence extensions are:
- F (charter) extension: A charter (bus) driver's or charter vehicle licence which allows a driver to carry passengers for hire or reward.
- T (taxi) extension: A taxi driver's licence which allows a driver to carry passengers for hire or reward.
You are not required to obtain an F (charter) extension if you already hold a T (taxi) extension.
Both are an extension of your current driver's licence. You must also have the appropriate licence for the class of vehicle you will be driving.
Hire and reward extension (bus/taxi) fees
|F (bus) extension application||$112.00|
|T (taxi) extension application||$112.00|
|Vehicle type||Driver's licence extension - Vehicle type F||Driver's licence extension - Vehicle type T|
|Regular Passenger Transport||Yes||Yes|
To find out about licensing Charter vehicles, Regular Passenger Transport vehicles and taxis, please refer to On-demand transport licensing / insurance page.
Circumstances where a driver's licence extension is not required
A driver's licence extension (F or T) is not required when:
- The payment you receive for carrying passengers does not exceed the operating costs per kilometre of the vehicle.
- The service is purely voluntary.
- You are carrying passengers during work hours as an incidental part of your general employment and the vehicle seats 12 persons or less (including the driver).
- You are a member of the police force.
- You are driving in the course of providing a child care service under the Child Care Services Act 2007 (WA).
Eligibility requirements to apply for a driver's licence extension
Minimum eligibility requirements for both driver's licence extensions F (charter) and T (taxi) are provided below.
|Minimum eligibility requirement
|Has reached the age of 20 years||Yes||Yes|
|Has held a driver's licence for a period of three (3) years||Yes||Yes|
|Is not a provisional driver||Yes||Yes|
|Provides two (2) referees at the time of application||Yes||Yes|
|Provides a National Police Certificate not older than three (3) months||Yes||Yes|
|Undergo a medical assessment||Yes||Yes|
How to apply for a driver's licence extension
To apply for the appropriate licence extension, you will need to complete an application form.
Visit the Become a bus, taxi or charter vehicle driver (F or T extension) for further information.
|F and T extension application (Form DL1)||Kb|
Information for drivers, taxi owners and operators
The WA taxi industry is administered by the Department of Transport, which regulates the number of taxi licence plates and sets the standards for taxi vehicles and the taxi driver code of conduct.
F (bus) extensions, when already holding a T (taxi) extension
You are not required to obtain an F (bus) extension if you already hold a T (taxi) extension.
- An F (bus) extension is a bus driver's or small charter vehicle licence which allows a driver to carry passengers for hire or reward.
- It is an extension of your existing driver's licence. You must also have the relevant licence for the class of vehicle you will be driving.
For more information, please refer to Schedule 2 - Classes of authorisation to drive of the Road Traffic (Authorisation to Drive) Regulations 2014.
|Application for a Taxi Driver Identification Card (Form ODT 31)||Kb|
|Application to replace regional Taxi Driver Identification Card||Kb|
|Department of Justice: Road Traffic (Authorisation to Drive) Regulations 2014|
Passenger transport vehicle fees and charges (2019/2020)
Passenger transport vehicle fees
|Passenger transport vehicle annual authorisation||$113.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle monthly authorisation (1 month)||$21.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle quarterly authorisation (3 months)||$40.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle bi-annual authorisation (6 monthly)||$67.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle application||$15.00 |
|Issue of on-demand transport plates||$29.00 |
|Re-issue of on-demand transport plates||$19.00 |
|Re-make of on-demand transport plates||$34.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle variation of authorisation conditions application||$20.00 |
|Passenger transport vehicle authorisation category of service change application||$36.00 |
 Applicable from Tuesday 2 July 2019.
Fees relating to hire and reward driver licence extensions (F/T) will not change until 2020 with the transition to on-demand driver authorisations. Visit Changes for passenger transport drivers for further details.
Driver's licence check (online)
Please use this handy feature to check whether your driver's licence is current.Driver's licence check (online)
- The information provided on the status of your driver's licence is only current as at the time and date of the response. Even though our records may indicate that your driver's licence is valid, there may be outstanding or current sanctions against your licence applied by the Department of the Attorney General which may render your licence invalid.
- In addition to this enquiry you should also perform a further verification on the Department of the Attorney General's website: Search licence suspensions (unpaid fines) online (see link below).
A Learner's Permit is not a valid licence and its details will not be displayed.
|Attorney General's Department: Online licence suspension check|
Demerit point check (online)
Demerit points are issued by the WA Police or an authorised officer for motoring offences. The points can vary from one to six points depending on the type of offence, except during long weekends and holiday seasons when the allocated demerit points for the offence will be double.
If you are the holder of a learner's permit please call 1300 720 111 for details of your demerit points.
This enquiry is for Western Australian licences only.Demerit point check (online)