Teach someone to drive

  Teaching someone how to drive, know your responsibilities

Remember, if you are teaching someone how to drive (and you are not a licensed driving instructor) you must:

  • Hold a current and valid driver's licence (for the class of vehicle in which you are teaching someone how to drive) for at least 4 years. In the case of instructing a person to ride a moped, you must have held a current and valid driver's licence for at least 2 years.
  • Ensure the vehicle you are instructing in has 'L' plates displayed at all times.
  • Be aware of the rules for novice drivers (includes 'L' and 'P' platers).


A person who holds an R-N driving authority (driver's licence) only issued at 16 years of age and has held that authority for a minimum of two years (for example: still holds a provisional licence), is authorised to supervise a learner driver holding an R-N class driving authority (learner's permit);

  • Ensure the vehicle you are instructing in has 'L' plates displayed at all time.
  • Be aware of the rules for novice drivers (includes 'L' and 'P' platers).
  • As a supervisor of a novice driver, you are subject to the same alcohol and drug driving provisions that would apply if you were driving the vehicle. There are consequences for non-compliance, including prosecution and loss of your driver's licence.

  The importance of quality instruction

Learning to drive can be very stressful for both you and your student, especially if you are related.

We strongly advise that starting off with a professional driving instructor can be a very good idea for your 'student'. Driving instructors can quickly tell them what they will need to learn and start them off properly.

Once your student has learned the early stages of how to control a car, they can then gain experience with you.

We do strongly recommend however, that once your student has gained experience with you they have another lesson with a professional driving instructor. This will make sure they are developing the right driving habits and let them know how their driving compares to the assessment standard.

  Helping your 'student' prepare for the Practical Driving Assessment

We encourage you to use the information and tools provided in the 'How to pass your Practical Driving Assessment, a candidates guide to the Practical Driving Assessment' when teaching someone how to drive.

The guide:

  • Complements the information found in 'Drive Safe handbook'.
  • Explains what learner drivers need to do to pass the Practical Driving Assessment.
  • Provides a place for learner drivers to record their experiences which helps to decide when they are ready to take the Practical Driving Assessment.
  • Provides information about the experience needed to become a safe driver.
DVS_DL_B_DriveSafeFull_i.pdf icon Drive Safe handbook Kb
LBU_DL_B_PDA.pdf icon How to pass your driving assessment (Booklet) Kb

  Keys2drive program

Keys 2 Drive logo
Keys 2 Drive logo

Keys2drive is an Australian Government-funded program. The program provides access to a website incorporating information, education and interactive games as well as a free session for both the learner driver and their supervisor.

In many cases a parent who may not have had a refresher on road rules and driver training in many years.

Another key feature of the program is an accreditation scheme for participating driving instructors.

External Link Keys2drive program

  Keys for life (School Drug Education and Road Aware)

Keys for life logo
Keys for life logo

School Drug Education and Road Aware (SDERA) has developed a pre-driver program called Keys for Life, to assist school staff to deliver pre-driver training to Year 10-12 students. Participating students receive free resources and a Keys for Life Certificate (K4L) on completion of the training.

The K4L Certificate provides the bearer with the following when applying for a Learner's Permit:

  • An exemption from undertaking and paying for the Computerised Theory Test (CTT).*
  • Certificate is valid for a two year period.
  • May be used as a Category C document as evidence of identity in community as part of the identity requirements for obtaining a Learner's Permit.

The bearer of the K4L Certificate must:

  • Be 16 years of age or older.
  • Present 5 forms of identity (inclusive of the K4L certificate as a Category C document.).
  • Pass an eyesight test (taken at a Transport DVS Centre, regional office or agent, in WA).
  • Declare any medical conditions that are likely to affect their ability to drive safely.
  • Pay the prescribed driver's licence application fee, and learner guide and log book fee.

* The exemption will not apply when a student undertakes the CTT at a DVS Centre, regional office or agent.

A one day workshop is compulsory for teachers wishing to conduct the Keys for Life program. For more information go to SDERA's Keys for life website.

Opens in a new window School Drug Education and Road Aware (SDERA): Keys for life

  Road Safety Commission resources

Young driver's website

Point your teenager or student to the Road Safety Commission website.

The Road Safety Commission site provides:

  • Advice on choosing your first car.
  • A party guide.
  • Dealing with fatigue.
  • Information on learning to drive.

RoadTrip 120

RoadTrip 120 provides young drivers with a resource to encourage 120 hours of supervised driving experience in a range of conditions.

External Link Road Safety Commission: Games and quizzes
Opens in a new window Road Safety Commission: Novice drivers

  Road safety handbooks

Drive Safe

Drive Safe is a guide to safe driving and an interpretation of the law. It is not the law, but a simplified version of the road rules contained in the relevant Acts and Regulations that apply currently in Western Australia.

Ride Safe

The information in this handbook aligns with Towards Zero, the State Government road safety strategy 2008-2020. The strategy means that we, in the WA community, do not accept that any person should die or be seriously injured on our roads.


Page last updated: Tue Apr 2 2019 5:16:38 PM