Vehicle licence duty calculator
Vehicle licence duty calculator (2017/2018)
Driver and Vehicle Services is required by the Duties Act 2008 to collect vehicle licence duty when a vehicle is licensed or its licence is transferred.
Any caravan defined as 'a trailer (including a camper trailer) permanently fitted for human habitation in the course of a journey' is exempt from the payment of Vehicle Licence Duty only. Transfer Fees are still charged as they are a fee that represents a cost recovery for the administration of the licensing system when a change of ownership is processed.
Fees applicable as of 1 July 2017
To display the total vehicle licence duty payable for any vehicle:
- 1 Select classification of vehicle (light or heavy vehicle, and used/new).
- 2 Enter the "Dutiable value" of the vehicle in the field below.
- 3 Click on the "Calculate Fee Payable" button.
GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass)
- The tare/mass weight of a vehicle plus load.
- Determined by the vehicle manufacturer as the maximum weight that the vehicle can carry.
- A figure set by the manufacturer and is stamped on the compliance plate of the vehicle (sometimes referred to as GVW or Gross Vehicle Weight).