COVID-19: Updates on Department of Transport services

Reporting a hazard or crash

Timely reporting of hazards from the community is vital to maintaining our cycling infrastructure. Find out what hazards to report and how to do so.

  Reporting a hazard

When lodging a hazard report, try to be as specific as possible about the location to aid the repair process.

Please note: The Department of Transport does not own the cycling infrastructure.

The online hazard report form will assist in forwarding the information to the relevant local government authority or Main Roads WA (for shared paths along railway lines or major roads and freeways).

Hazards on railway tracks or at stations

For hazards on shared paths at railway tracks or at stations, please inform the Public Transport Authority (PTA) by contacting them directly via the link below.

Hazards on shared paths along railway lines or major roads and freeways

Hazards on Principal Shared Paths along railway lines or major roads and freeways should be reported to Main Roads through the hazard report form, or directly via the link below.

Other hazards in Perth and regional WA

Any other hazards should be reported to the local government responsible for the area.

The hazard report form can be used to report hazards in the Perth metropolitan area (including Mandurah). The Local government boundaries map at the end of this section will help you determine which metropolitan local government is responsible for the different sections of the Perth Bicycle Network infrastructure.

AT_CYC_P_ReportHazardBoundariesMap.pdf icon Local government boundaries map Kb
External Link Google maps
External Link Main Roads WA: Contact us
Opens in a new window Public Transport Authority (PTA): Contact us
Opens in a new window Western Australian Local Government Association (WALGA): Council websites

  Why should you report a hazard?

Even the best cycling infrastructure requires regular upkeep, as potholes, cracks, sand and other hazards can appear overnight after heavy rain or strong winds.

Community feedback is vital in helping keep these facilities safe and well-maintained. Don't assume someone else will report a particular problem. It only takes a couple minutes to lodge a hazard report.

Some examples of hazards that should be reported are:

  • Bumps or cracks in a path surface due to the encroachment of tree roots.
  • Bicycle sensors at traffic lights.
  • Badly positioned drainage grates or grab rails.
  • Broken glass and overhanging branches.
  • Caltrop or doublegee plants, which can puncture bike tyres.

Obstructions on a shared path should also be reported to your local rangers. These include:

  • Parked cars.
  • Skip bins.
  • Wheelie bins.

For more information, please download the following fact sheets.

AT_CYC_P_FS03_hazard.pdf icon Reporting a hazard can help the entire community Kb
AT_CYC_P_FS66_obstruction.pdf icon Paths need to be kept clear Kb

  Reporting a crash

Timely reporting of hazards from the community is vital to maintaining our road network and associated infrastructure.

The driver of a vehicle and/or rider of a bicycle must report a traffic crash when the incident occurred on a road or any place commonly used by the public, e.g. car parks and the:

  • Incident resulted in bodily harm to any person.
  • Total value of property damaged to all involved parties exceeds $3,000.
  • Owner or representative of any damaged property is not present.

Reporting a hazard

For traffic lights and hazards on roads please inform Main Roads WA using their online form or calling 138 138.

You may also find it helpful to use a street map or a Internet map to identify the street name and location of the hazard.

External Link Crash Report: online crash reporting facility


Page last updated: Wed Jun 20 2018 11:13:07 AM