Transfer a registered vehicle licence to a spouse or de facto partner

Find out what you need to do to transfer a vehicle licence to a spouse or de facto partner.

If you transfer a vehicle to a spouse or de facto partner of at least 2 years, you do not have to pay vehicle licence duty.

You will still need to pay a transfer fee.

You must notify the Department of Transport within 14 days of the transfer. Failure to do so will result in a penalty being applied.

Am I eligible?

To be exempt from vehicle licence duty:

  • the transfer of the vehicle licence must be between persons who are married to each other or who are de facto partners of at least 2 years
  • neither person can hold the vehicle as a trustee of a trust
  • the transfer of the licence must be for a vehicle used exclusively for social, domestic or pleasure purposes (i.e. not commercial)
    • the vehicle must not be used for carrying passengers or goods for hire or reward or in any business, trade or profession
  • the vehicle must be a car, bus or goods vehicle
    • motorcycles, scooters, mopeds and motorised wheelchairs are not eligible for vehicle licence duty exemption
    • the vehicle cannot be a heavy vehicle and the unladen mass of the vehicle is not greater than 3000 kg
    • caravans are not subject to vehicle licence duty.

What you need to do

Driver and Vehicle Services 
GPO Box R1290 
Perth WA 6844.

You cannot transfer a vehicle licence to a spouse or de facto partner online.

What to do if the vehicle licence has been transferred and duty has been paid

If you need to apply for a refund of vehicle licence duty:

GPO Box T1600
Perth WA 6845.

Need help?

If you have any questions you can call our Customer Contact Centre on 13 11 56.

Page last updated: Tue Apr 2 2024 1:54:51 PM