Learning to drive/ride (overview)

Find out what steps you need to take to get a licence to ride a moped (R-N class), motorcycle (R-E class) or drive a car (C class) vehicle in Western Australia.

  Six steps to getting your licence

The Graduated Driver Training and Licensing (GDTL) system was revised on 9th October 2017 to make sure you get a wide range of supervised driving or riding experience under different road and traffic conditions, over a longer period of time before driving solo.

The GDTL system is designed to help you acquire the practical driving skills, good driving habits and the responsible and courteous attitudes that are essential to safety on our roads.

Please refer to the Fact sheet 'Changes to the application process for a WA driver's licence' below to see how the changes might affect you.

The GDTL requires learner drivers to accumulate at least 50 (including five night time) hours of supervised driving prior to being granted a WA driver's licence. When you get your learner's permit you will be issued with a Learner Guide and Log Book and information on how to download the Learn&Log app so you can start recording your driving experience.

Log book hours can be recorded in the printed log book, the Learn&Log app or a combination of both.

The six steps of getting your first driver's licence are:

DVS_P_DL_FAQ_ChangesGDTL.pdf icon Changes to the application process for a WA driver's licence Kb
DVS_P_DL_6StepsGetting.pdf icon Six steps to getting your licence (Fact sheet) Kb
DVS_P_DL_Remote6StepsGetting.pdf icon Six steps to getting your licence for remote communities (Fact sheet) Kb

  Minimum supervised driving hours

Overhead road signs on a freeway
Overhead road signs on a freeway

Learner drivers must complete a minimum of 50 supervised driving hours prior to being granted a WA driver's licence. Five of these hours must be completed at night (between sunset and sunrise).

The 50 hours can be completed at any time either before or after the Hazard Perception Test but must be completed before the learner's permit holder can sit the Practical Driving Assessment.

The 50 supervised driving hours provide learner drivers a greater opportunity to develop the skills required to become safe drivers.


  • Applicants for 'C class' only aged 25 years and older are exempt from the requirement to complete a Log Book but must complete all other steps of the GDTL process.
  • Novice motorcycle (R-E) applicants aged 25 years and older are not exempt from the Log Book requirements.
  • Where applicants hold both a 'C' and 'R-E class' learner's permit, the 50 hours must be completed in the class of vehicle in which the first PDA will be undertaken.

  Frequently Asked Questions: Learning to drive/ride

LBU_DL_FAQ_POI.pdf icon Proof of identity (Frequently Asked Questions) Kb
LBU_DL_FAQ_YourDetailsPhoto.pdf icon Your details and photograph (Frequently Asked Questions) Kb

  Current interstate, New Zealand and Indian Ocean Territories learner's permit holders

'C and R-E class' learner's permits

If you hold a current interstate, New Zealand or Indian Ocean Territories (IOT) 'C or R-E class' learner's permit and you are applying for a Western Australian (WA) learner's permit, you may apply for the recognition of GDTL competencies previously completed. The GDTL competencies that may be recognised include:

  • Theory test.
  • Six month supervised driving period (period since the issue of your learner's permit or learner licence).
  • Hazard Perception Test.
  • Supervised driving hours (recorded in an approved Log Book); and
  • Practical Driving Assessment.

Please note for these competencies to be recognised, they must have been completed within:

  • The last five years for interstate applicants; and
  • The last 12 months for NZ or IOT.

You must apply for the recognition of any completed competencies at the time of applying for a WA driver's licence. For recognition of competencies and requirements applicants must present your original log book and complete and present a 'Recognition of Learner Driver Competencies Australia/New Zealand/IOT' (Form E60).

You must also pay the following fees when applying for a WA learner's permit:

  • New application fee (and supplementary practical driving assessment entitlement fee if required); and
  • Learner Guide and Log Book fee (if required). You can then download the Learn&Log app to record your supervised driving hours. You can use the printed log book, the Learn&Log app or a combination of both to record your hours.


DVS_F_DL_RecogLearnerCompAuNZIOT_E60.pdf icon Recognition of Learner Driver Competencies Australia/New Zealand/IOT (Form E60) Kb

  Driver licences and vehicle classes

You can apply for a learner's permit for any of the following vehicles without any prior experience, as long as you meet the minimum age requirements:

Vehicle type Class Minimum age to apply by class
Moped R-N You can apply for a learner's permit at 15 ½ years of age.
Motorcycle * R-E You can apply for a learner's permit at 16 years of age.
Car C You can apply for a learner's permit at 16 years of age.

* R-E, LAMS approved, motorcycle (under 660 cc and under 150 kW/t).

To view all vehicle classes available and their eligibility requirements please refer to driver licences and vehicle classes.

  Book a PDA with the DoT (first licence and upgrade)

Book a Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) with the Department of Transport (first licence and upgrade).

Book a Practical Driving Assessment (online)

Learner driver fees

There is no fee for renewing a learner's permit if the learner driver has sat the theory test in the past 5 years. If not, the learner driver will need to sit and pass the learner's permit theory test. (Fee listed below)
Fee type Fee
Learner's permit theory test
Sit the learner's permit theory test (CTT) $19.25
Subsequent learner's permit theory resits (CTT) $13.95
Learner's Guide and Log Book (includes access to the Learn&Log app) $7.35
Learner's permit document replacement $30.00
Hazard Perception Test (HPT)
Sit the initial Hazard Perception Test (HPT) $22.20
Every subsequent Hazard Perception Test (HPT) resit $15.40
Practical Driving Assessment (PDA)
Application fee including one Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) $89.15
Every subsequent Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) resit $81.40

PDA bookings may also be made:

You are encouraged to make your booking as early as possible as this will increase your chance of getting a preferred assessment date and time.


Due to the inherent dangers Alpha Inflator airbags pose, a vehicle fitted with a Takata Alpha Inflator airbag, or subject to a critical recall, is not able to be used for a practical driving assessment (PDA). Please see our Vehicle safety, standards and security page for more information about Takata airbags.

  • Bookings are free of charge for senior licence renewals (Drivers who are aged 85 years and older).
  • If your Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) is cancelled less than 2 full working days from the date of your booking you will have to pay to book another.
  • If you are late for your appointment, fail to show up or your log book has not been completed correctly or signed, you will not be assessed and will have to rebook and pay for another PDA.
DVS_F_DL_E49_DecSupervisedNightDriving.pdf icon Declaration of supervised night time driving (Form E49) Kb
LBU_DL_B_PDAOnlineUserGuide.pdf icon Practical Driving Assessment: Online booking service user guide Kb

Who can book online?

Online PDA bookings are limited to tests in the following vehicle classes:

Who can't book online?

Online PDA bookings are not available for the following vehicle classes:

You cannot book online if your PDA is required as a result of:

  • A medical condition and the medical assessment process is incomplete.
  • An extraordinary licence application.
  • A conditional licence application.


  • The licence or learner's permit is subject to a sanction.

Please call 13 11 56 to book your PDA if any of these circumstances apply to you.

  Learner driver resources

There are a variety of resources available to help you during the six steps of obtaining your licence, including online quizzes and a simulator of the Hazard Perception Test, plus information about the Western Australian Learner's Permit Card.

Visit the learner tools and resources section of the website to make use of these.

LBU_DL_B_Get_Motorcycle_Licence.pdf icon Getting your motorcycle licence (Fact sheet) Kb
LBU_DL_FS_LearnerPermitCard.pdf icon Western Australian learner's permit card (Fact sheet) Kb

  Learner's permit photo card

The learner's permit card displays a photo of the learner driver, date of birth, class of licence and security features such as a watermark and unique serial number.

Learner driver applicants are issued with an interim paper-based permit before receiving a learner's permit card in the mail within 14 days.

LBU_DL_I_Lplatelearner.pdf icon 'L' plates: yellow (printable) Kb
LBU_DL_FS_LearnerPermitCard.pdf icon Western Australian learner's permit card (Fact sheet) Kb

  Rules for novice drivers

There are a number of restrictions that novice drivers must comply with to assist them while they are developing the skills required to become safe drivers.

Ensure you read and understand all of the rules for novice drivers before starting to learn to drive.

  Keys2drive program

Keys 2 Drive logo
Keys 2 Drive logo

Keys2drive is an Australian Government-funded program. The program provides access to a website incorporating information, education and interactive games as well as a free session for both the learner driver and their supervisor.

In many cases a parent who may not have had a refresher on road rules and driver training in many years.

Another key feature of the program is an accreditation scheme for participating driving instructors.

External Link Keys2drive program

  Keys for life (School Drug Education and Road Aware)

Keys for life logo
Keys for life logo

School Drug Education and Road Aware (SDERA) has developed a pre-driver program called Keys for Life, to assist school staff to deliver pre-driver training to Year 10-12 students. Participating students receive free resources and a Keys for Life Certificate (K4L) on completion of the training.

The K4L Certificate provides the bearer with the following when applying for a Learner's Permit:

  • An exemption from undertaking and paying for the Computerised Theory Test (CTT).*
  • Certificate is valid for a two year period.
  • May be used as a Category C document as evidence of identity in community as part of the identity requirements for obtaining a Learner's Permit.

The bearer of the K4L Certificate must:

  • Be 16 years of age or older.
  • Present 5 forms of identity (inclusive of the K4L certificate as a Category C document.).
  • Pass an eyesight test (taken at a Transport DVS Centre, regional office or agent, in WA).
  • Declare any medical conditions that are likely to affect their ability to drive safely.
  • Pay the prescribed driver's licence application fee, and learner guide and log book fee.

* The exemption will not apply when a student undertakes the CTT at a DVS Centre, regional office or agent.

A one day workshop is compulsory for teachers wishing to conduct the Keys for Life program. For more information go to SDERA's Keys for life website.

Opens in a new window School Drug Education and Road Aware (SDERA): Keys for life


Page last updated: Tue Apr 23 2019 11:17:36 AM