Practical Driving Assessments (PDAs)
We are currently contacting candidates who had their PDA cancelled due to COVID-19 to rebook their test. If you had your PDA cancelled due to COVID-19, you will be given priority and booked into the closest available location before tests are made available to the public. We will try to accommodate the date and time that best suits you.
Note: The ability to book a Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) online remains suspended.
Frequently asked questions
I had my PDA cancelled and I have not heard from DoT. What should I do?
We are currently contacting those who had their PDA cancelled. We hope to have contacted and rebooked all those who had their test cancelled by the end of June and ask that you wait to be contacted by someone from DoT.
If you don't have a mobile number recorded with DoT, we will either email you or send you a letter.
I had my PDA cancelled, when can I expect to be contacted by DoT to have my test rebooked?
We expect to have contacted all candidates who had their PDA cancelled by the end of June. The call will come from a private number. Please wait to be contacted by someone from DoT.
I had my PDA cancelled, will I be told when and where my rebooked test will be or can I choose?
If you had your PDA cancelled, you will be given priority and booked into the closest available location before any public tests are made available. We will try to accommodate the date and time that best suits you.
I already have a PDA booked, will DoT cancel it to prioritise those who had their test cancelled?
We will no longer be cancelling any existing bookings as a result of COVID-19.
Will priority candidates (such as essential workers) still be prioritised?
Essential workers will still be prioritised until bookings are released to the general public at the end of June.
To be considered a priority candidate, you must demonstrate you need a licence for one of the following reasons:
- Essential for employment where you need a licence to undertake your job duties. Note that this does not include travelling to and from work.
- Emergency services purposes.
- Freight task purposes.
- Has a medical condition.
- Essential for a role as a primary carer.
- Subject to a court order.
- Permanent resident converting an overseas driver’s licence from a non-recognised country (this is a legal requirement and must be done within the first three months of being granted a permanent resident visa).
What supporting evidence do I need to provide to qualify as a priority candidate?
- Employment – we require a letter of offer from the employer specifying the driving requirement.
- Emergency services – we require a letter of offer from the employer specifying the driving requirement.
- Freight tasks – for a Heavy Rigid (HR class) vehicles or Heavy Combination (HC class), we require a letter from your employer validating the requirement.
- Medical condition – we require a letter from your Doctor.
- Primary carer – we need evidence that the person you are caring for has no other option for help with attending medical appointments or receiving welfare (such as food). We may also ask how they are currently accessing welfare.
- Permanent resident – proof of permanent resident visa.
Please email your details and supporting evidence to metro.priorityPDA@transport.wa.gov.au and we will assess the application and contact you with the outcome.
I missed my call from the Department to rebook my test. What should I do?
We will leave a message with details for you to contact us, and will attempt to contact you three times to confirm a PDA booking. The call will come from a private number.
What's the process for contacting candidates who had their PDA cancelled? i.e. Will those who had their tests cancelled first be the first candidates contacted to be rebooked?
Those who had their PDA cancelled first will be the first people contacted to have their test rebooked.
When tests are made available to the public what will the wait time be?
PDAs are available up to six months in advance. We encourage you to keep checking each day as it is a live system and spots become available when bookings are released, moved or cancelled.
I didn't book my PDA before COVID-19, when will I be able to book a test?
It is expected the online PDA booking system, which is accessible through DoTDirect, will become available at the end of June.
- Still learning? Find out about current recommendations for learner drivers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Before coming to a centre, find out the best way to contact DoT.
- Find out how to prepare for your PDA.